Hit enter after type your search item
Wzy Word

HERE ARE THE WORLD'S NEWS

WATCH LIVE: The National for Monday, July 6 — Breaking social distancing rules; COVID-19 in the air

/
/
/
122 Views
img

>> Adrienne: GOOD EVENING I'M ADRIENNE ARSENAULT

ANDREW IS OFF THIS WEEK TONIGHT BREAKING THE DISTANCING RULES [ * ] >> CROWDED BARS, HOT STREETS OUTSIDE AND AFTER A CLUSTER OF CASES IN MONTREAL, A CRACKDOWN >> WE'LL CLOSE YOUR VENUE >> NEW EVIDENCE THAT COVID COULD HANG IN THE AIR FOR HOURS

SCIENTISTS ARE WARNING THAT THE WHO IS IGNORING THE RISK >> WAIT, WAIT, WAIT

>> THE DEBATES OVER RACIAL PROFILING IN THE UK AFTER A CHAMPION SPRINTER IS HANDCUFFED BY POLICE >> IT WAS JUST AWFUL >> SURVIVING A MUDSLIDE

>> LIKE A FREIGHT TRAIN GOING THROUGH THE MIDDLE OF YOUR HOUSE >> WE JUST TRUDGED OUR WAY OUT I DON'T KNOW HOW WE DID IT >> HOW A BC

COUPLE ESCAPES WHEN THEY WERE SUDDENLY SWALLOWED BY A WALL OF DIRT AND STONE THIS IS "THE NATIONAL" MULBERRY [ * ] >> AS CANADA REOPENS STEP BY STEP, THERE IS ALWAYS A LOOMING THREAT THAT ONE CARELESS MOVE, ONE SLIP COULD SEND CASE NUMBERS SPIKING AND RIGHT NOW, SCENES LIKE THESE ARE STOKING THOSE FEARS BARS IN THIS COUNTRY, CROWDED WITH PEOPLE AND NOT ALWAYS SOCIAL DISTANCING, EVEN IN THE MIDDLE OF THIS PANDEMIC

AND THE BIG WORRY ABOUT THAT IS COMING TRUE NEAR MONTREAL, AN OUTBREAK OF COVID-19 LINKED TO A GROUP OF YOUNG PEOPLE WHO WENT OUT PARTYING AS ALISON NORTHCOTT SHOWS US, THAT HAS THE PROVINCE THREATENING A CRACKDOWN [ * ] >> Reporter: THIS VIDEO POSTED ON SOCIAL MEDIA THIS WEEKEND SHOWS A PACKED BAR JUST OUTSIDE OF MONTREAL IT'S BECOME A FOCAL POINT FOR THE REGION'S PUBLIC HEALTH AUTHORITIES AFTER A GROUP OF ABOUT 60 YOUNG PEOPLE ATTENDED TWO HOUSE PARTIES LAST TUESDAY, SOME THEN WENT TO THE BAR >> WE ALREADY HAVE MORE THAN 20 PEOPLE THAT HAVE DIAGNOSIS

>> Reporter: THE PUBLIC HEALTH IS ASKING ANYONE ELSE AT THE BAR THAT NIGHT TO ALSO GET TESTED FOR COVID-19 QUEBEQUEBEC BARS GOT THE GREEN LIGHT TO REOPEN A MONTH AGO THERE'S HAND SANITIZERS AND BARTENDERS ARE IN MASK >> LOTS AND LOTS OF TABLES HAVE BEEN REMOVED >> Reporter: AND TABLES ARE TWO METRES APART

CUSTOMERS HAVE TO STAY SEATED, BUT THE OWNER WORRIES NOT EVERYONE IS ENFORCING THOSE RULES >> WE'RE ALL TRYING TO GET BACK ON OUR FEET WE DON'T WANT ONE OR TWO APPLES TO SPOIL IT >> Reporter: THIS IS A REMINDER THAT THE VIRUS IS STILL A RISK >> I CAN CERTAINLY STOP CERTAIN SECTORS IF PEOPLE DON'T OBLIGE IT AND I COULD SAY EVEN TO QUEBECORS, GO BACK HOME IF NEEDED, BECAUSE THIS IS SOMETHING OF LIFE OR DEATH

>> Reporter: AND IT'S NOT JUST IN QUEBEC ON ST JOHN'S GEORGE STREET THIS WEEKEND, A SIMILAR SCENE PROMPTING CONCERN AND FRUSTRATION >> TO SEE THAT HAPPEN ON THE WEEKEND IS VERY DISAPPOINTING AND PEOPLE NEED TO TAKE MORE RESPONSIBILITY >> Reporter: THIS EXPERT WORRIES OUTBREAKS AMONG YOUNGER HEALTHY PEOPLE COULD SPREAD THE VIRUS TO THOSE WHO ARE OLDER AND MORE VULNERABLE

>> I THINK WE NEED TO BE READY TO BE MORE SEVERE AND HAVE MORE STRINGENT MEASURES, MONITORING ENFORCEMENT THAN JUST LETTING PEOPLE BE >> THE MESSAGE TO BAR OWNERS IS VERY CLEAR IF THEY'RE NOT FOLLOWING THE RULES, WE'LL HAVE APPROPRIATE MEASURES >> Reporter: QUEBEC'S HEALTH MINISTER SAYS THAT COULD INCLUDE FINES AND INCREASED POLICE PRESENCE AND EVEN SHUTTING SOME BARS DOWN >>> NOW MONTREAL IS JOINING A GROWING LIST OF CITIES MAKING MASKS MANDATORY

THE RULE IN THE WORKS IS EXPECTED TO GO INTO EFFECT JULY 27th, REQUIRING FACE COVERINGS IN INDOOR PUBLIC SPACES OTTAWA ANNOUNCED A SIMILAR RULE GOING INTO EFFECT TOMORROW AT MIDNIGHT THIS FOLLOWS TORONTO, WHOSE MASK RULE ALSO GOES INTO EFFECT TOMORROW IT IS A POLICY MOVE THAT FACES PUSHBACK IN THE UNITED STATES WHERE MASKS ARE A PARTISAN ISSUE DESPITE MOUNTING CONCERNS BECAUSE THE COVID-19 INFECTIONS JUST CONTINUE TO SPIRAL

THE PACE OF NEW CASES IN THE US REMAINS FASTER THAN EVER WITH MORE THAN 40,000 POSITIVE TESTS A DAY THANKFULLY THE TREND SO FAR IN DEATHS MIRRORS THE ROSIER PICTURE WEEKS AGO WHEN THE CURVE WAS MORE FLAT AS PAUL HUNTER SHOWS US, THAT IS THE PICTURE THE WHITE HOUSE IS EMPHASIZING

>> Reporter: IT WOULD SEEM A FAIRLY EASY TO ACCOMPLISH IMPERATIVE, TO HELP SLOW THE SPREAD OF THE CORONAVIRUS IN THE US, WEAR A MASK AND, INDEED, LOTS OF AMERICANS ARE BUT MILLIONS ARE NOT AND THEY'RE CONGREGATING, SPREADING THE VIRUS, WORSENING THE CRISIS IN THIS COUNTRY DAILY

THIS PAST HOLIDAY WEEKEND, MERELY AN EXTREME EXAMPLE OF WHAT PLAYS OUT REGULARLY SO DOES CATASTROPHE NOW LOOM? >> I WOULD SAY WE'RE PRETTY CLOSE AND I WOULD ANTICIPATE AFTER THIS WEEKEND'S PARTIES, WE'RE GOING TO SEE A BUMP >> Reporter: AND CONSIDER THAT IN THOSE STATES WHERE COVID HAS LATELY BEEN SPIKING, TEXAS, FOR EXAMPLE, HOSPITALS ARE ALREADY NEAR CAPACITY AND YET, IN FLORIDA, WHERE A MAN DRESSED AS THE GRIM REAPER MARCHED ALONG BUSY BEACHES SIGNALING PEOPLE SHOULD TAKE MORE CARE, PUSHBACK (BEEP)

>> Reporter: ON THE AVERSION OF SELF-PROTECTION, MANY POINT TO THE EXAMPLE SET BY DONALD TRUMP WHO NOT ONLY DOESN'T WEAR ONE BUT THIS WEEKEND SAID WITH INCREASED TESTING LATELY — WE SHOW CASES, 99% OF WHICH ARE TOTALLY HARMLESS >> Reporter: THAT'S CLOSE TO THE SURVIVAL RATE BUT IGNORES THE ROUGHLY 20% OF CASES BAD ENOUGH TO NEED HOSPITAL CARE, SAID DONALD TRUMP'S PRESS SECRETARY TODAY >> THE PRESIDENT WAS NOTING THE FACT THAT THE VAST MAJORITY OF AMERICANS WHO CONTRACT CORONAVIRUS WILL COME OUT ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THIS >> Reporter: IN NEW YORK, MEANWHILE, WHERE FOLLOWING STRICT GUIDELINES TURN THINGS AROUND, THEY'RE WELL INTO REOPENING TODAY, A CALL FOR TRUMP TO EMPHASIZE COVID IS A VERY SERIOUS PROBLEM

>> IF HE DOES NOT ACKNOWLEDGE THAT, THEN HE IS FACILITATING THE VIRUS >> Reporter: AND CONTRIBUTING TO MORE COVID ILLNESS AND DEATH IN A COUNTRY LEADING THE WORLD IN BOTH PAUL HUNTER, CBC NEWS, WASHINGTON >> Adrienne: SCIENTISTS FROM AROUND THE WORLD, INCLUDING CANADA, SAY THERE IS ENOUGH EVIDENCE NOW THAT COVID-19 IS AIRBORNE, THAT THE WH

O SHOULD CHANGE ITS GUIDELINES BUT AS VIK ADOPHIA TELLS US, OTHER RESEARCHERS DISAGREE >> Reporter: THOUSANDS OF DROPLETS FLY THROUGH THE AIR WITH EVERY COUGH, THE MOST COMMON WAY FOR THE CORONAVIRUS TO INFECT OTHERS, BUT THERE ARE ALSO MICROSCOPIC PARTICLES SMALLER THAN DROPLETS THAT CAN REMAIN AIRBORNE, FLOATING AROUND SEVERAL HOURS RELEASED BY JUST TALKING OR BREATHING IN AN OPEN LETTER TO THE WH

O SCIENTISTS WARN THAT'S WHERE WHY HANDWASHING AND PHYSICAL DISTANCING AREN'T ENOUGH TO BLOCK THE OUTBREAK >> IF YOU DO THE TRANSMISSION WELL OR DO NOT BLOCK THEM, YOU WILL SEE FLATTENING THE CURVE WILL BE EXTREMELY SLOW >> Reporter: POINTING TO AN OUTBREAK IN THIS CHOIR IN MARCH AS ONE EXAMPLE OF A SUPER SPREADING EVENT WHERE ONE PERSON INFECTED DOZENS OF WHOS THE W

HO DOWNPLAYED THE RISK OF AIRBORNE PARTICLES BECAUSE NOT ENOUGH IS KNOWN HOW INFECTIOUS THEY ARE BUT THE UNDERSTANDING OF THE SUBJECT IS DECADES OUT OF DATE AS THE EMERGING SCIENCE DOESN'T DRAW A DISTINCTION BETWEEN DROPLETS AND AIRBORNE PARTICLES >> IT IS STUCK IN A LAMONCLATURE OF THE 1930'S AND PHYSICS THAT HAVE BEEN VALIDATED >> Reporter: THE LETTER ASKS THE W

HO ASK GOVERNMENTS TO MANDATE UPGRADES BEFORE ALLOWING REOPENINGS, ESPECIALLY IN SCHOOLS, WORKPLACES AND SENIOR'S HOMES WHERE LOTS OF PEOPLE CONGREGATE THOUGH NOT EVERYONE AGREES IT'S URGENT >> YOU NEED TO FOCUS ON THE CERTAINTIES AND SPEND LESS TIME AND ENERGY FOCUSING ON THE THINGS THAT MIGHT HAVE SOME IMPACT BUT DO NOT APPEAR TO BE AS IMPORTANT

>> Reporter: ONE OF THOSE CERTAINTIES IS THE CONTINUED USE OF MANS MASKS >> Adrienne: FOR THE FIRST TIME SINCE LATE MARCH, ONTARIO IS REPORTING NO NEW COVID-RELATED DEATHS, BUT HEALTH OFFICIALS ARE INVESTIGATING ANOTHER FARM OUTBREAK IN THE TORONTO YEAR 30 WORKERS HAVE TESTED POSITIVE AT THIS MUSHROOM FARM IN VAUGHAN OFFICIALS ARE NOW FOLLOWING UP WITH THE CLOSE CONTACTS WITH THOSE INFECTED BUT SAY THE RISKS OF THE PUBLIC IS LOW >> I'M PLEASED TO REPORT TODAY NO NEW CASES

>> THAT'S WELCOMED NEWS TODAY IN PEI AFTER FIVE NEW CASES WERE REPORTED OVER THE WEEKEND AND FOUR ARE LINKED TO A MAN RETURNING FROM THE US

TO NOVA SCOTIA OFFICIALS THERE IMPOSING STRICTER MEASURES TO ENSURE PEOPLE FROM OUTSIDE OF ATLANTIC CANADA SELF-ISOLATE FROM ENTERING THE PROVINCE >> WE WANT TO MAKE SURE WHAT WE'VE SEEN IN OTHER JURISDICTIONS DOESN'T HAPPEN HERE AND WE'RE TAKING EXTRA PRECAUTIONS TO PROTECT PATIENTS AND STAFF >> AND SO THIS EDMONTON HOSPITAL HAS CLOSED ITS DOORS TO NEW ADMISSIONS AS OFFICIALS WORK TO CONTAIN A COVID OUTBREAK THAT HAS INFECTED 30 PEOPLE SOME INCLUDING THE EMERGENCY ROOM REMAIN OPEN

>>> NICK CORDERO IS BEING REMEMBERED AS A TALENTED ACTOR AS WELL AS A LOVING HUSBAND AND FATHER THE 41-YEAR-OLD CANADIAN-BORN PROCEEDWAY PERFORMERS SUFFERED SEVERE COMPLICATIONS FROM COVID-19 ELI GLASNER SPOKE WITH FRIENDS FROM HIS HOMETOWN OF HAMILTON [ * ] >> Reporter: NOT EVERY ACTOR COULD SWITCH FROM WAIVING A TOMMY BEGUN TO TAP DANCING NICK CORDERO WAS NOT EVERY ACTOR

>> I WAS REALLY HOPING FOR A DIFFERENT OUTCOME >> Reporter: THESE TWO WERE FRIENDS SINCE GRADE SIX >> HE WAS LIKE A GENTLE GIANT >> Reporter: BUT CODERO WENT FROM BUSING TABLES TO DANCING ON BROADWAY SO WHEN HE ENTERED THE ER IN LATE MARCH, WORD SPREAD QUICKLY IN HIS HOMETOWN OF HAMILTON

>> IT HIT PEOPLE HARD BECAUSE NICK WAS SO YOUNG AND HEALTHY >> I'M SITTING OUTSIDE OF CEDAR SINAI HOSPITAL >> Reporter: THE ACTOR BATTLED AGAINST A SERIES OF SETBACKS IN APRIL, SURGEONS WERE FORCED TO AMPUTATE HIS LEG DUE TO CORONAVIRUS COMPLICATIONS >> THE LONGER ON A VENTILATOR, YOUR BODY IS SUSCEPTIBLE TO INFECTION AND THAT'S WHAT WE'RE SEEING WITH NICK

>> Reporter: ALL THE WHILE, CELEBRITIES SHARE THEIR SUPPORT >> YOU HAVE THAT EYE OF THE TIGER >> Reporter: AND CASTMATES PERFORMED A SONG HE COMPOSED HIS CRITICS FOLLOWED CODERO'S RISE, FIRST IN BULLETS OVER BROADWAY WHICH EARNED HIM A TONY NOMINATION AND THE MUSICAL OF BRONX TALE >> HE COULD PLAY ROUGH GANGSTERS, BUT STILL, REALLY, YOU FELL FOR THE CHARACTER AND NEVERTHELESS, YOU COULD TELL HE WAS A STAR IN THAT SHOW

>> Reporter: BUT ON SUNDAY, HIS WIFE SHARED THE NEWS NICK CORDERO DIED SURROUNDED BY HIS FAMILY SINGING AND PRAYING HIS CASTMATE ZACH BRASS SAID I HAVE NEVER MET A KINDER HUMAN BEING BACK HOME, THE NEWS WAS A WAKE-UP CALL >> IT REALLY MADE IT REAL, YOU KNOW

AND IT'S MADE ME, ACTUALLY, BE MORE CHEERFUL WITH WEARING A MASK AND MAKING SURE EVERYTHING IS CLEAN BECAUSE IT'S SCARRY IT'S A SCARRY TIME [ * ] >> Reporter: ANOTHER SIGN OF THE IMPACT FROM A LIFE THAT MOVED SO MANY ELI GLASNER, CBC NEWS, TORONTO >> Adrienne: AMONG THE OTHER STORIES WE'RE FOLLOWING TONIGHT, THE CANADIAN RESERVIST ACCUSED OF RAMMING A TRUCK THROUGH A GATE AT RIDEAU HALL LAST WEEK IS CHARGED WITH THREATEN TO CAUSE HARM TO THE PRIME MINISTER

HE HAD A RIFLE, A SHOTGUN AND A HIGH CAPACITY MAG POLICMAGAZINEAND JUSTIN TRUDEAU, MEANWHIL E, WILL NOT JOIN HIS NORTH AMERICAN COUNTERPARTICIPANTCOUNTERPARTS TO MARK THE START OF THE NEW NAFTA AGREEMENT HE WILL BE AT THE WHITE HOUSE ON A BILATERAL MEETING BUT WILL REMAIN IN OTTAWA FOR CABINET MEETINGS AND THE LONG-SITTING OF PARLIAMENT >>> BOB RAY NAMED AS CANADA'S NEW AMBASSADOR TO THE UNITED NATIONS

HE WAS INTERIM LEADER AND SERVED AS THE PREMIER IN THE 90'S AND TAKES OVER JUST WEEKS AFTER CANADA FAILED TO SECURE A TEMPORARY SEAT ON THE UN SECURITY COUNCIL >>> WELL, ONTARIO SAYS IT WILL NO LONGER DIVIDE GRADE 9 STUDENTS INTO TWO STREAMS, THOSE EXPECTED TO MAKE IT TO UNIVERSITY AND THOSE WHO HAVE BEEN TOLD THEY'RE LESS ABLE, BLACK AND LOW-INCOME STUDENTS ARE BY FAR MOST LIKELY TO LIMIT THEIR GOALS BECAUSE OF THAT SYSTEM JACQUELINE HANSEN TAKES A DEEPER LOOK AT WHY

>> Reporter: BEN McDONALD ALWAYS KNEW HE WOULD GO TO UNIVERSITY BUT NOT EVERYONE AGREED >> IN GRADE 5, MY TEACHERS SAID YOUR KIND DON'T GO TO UNIVERSITY >> Reporter: AN EARLY, UNOFFICIAL STREAMING OF BLACK STUDENTS THAT HIS MOM, NOW A SCHOOL BOARD TRUSTEE, SAYS STARTS IN KINDERGARTEN >> A LOT OF THESE KIDS, BY THE TIME THEY ENTER HIGH SCHOOL, THEY ARE SO DISENGAGED >> Reporter: THERE'S AN OFFICIAL STREAMING OF STUDENTS IN ONTARIO THAT DISPROPORTIONATELY PUTS BLACK STUDENTS ON A PATH TOWARDS COLLEGE OR TRADE, NOT UNIVERSITY AND STARTS IN GRADE 9

>> YOU'RE ASKING A 14-YEAR-OLD CHILD TO MAKE A DECISION IN GRADE 9 WHERE THE REST OF THEIR HIGH SCHOOL CAREER AND POST-SECONDARY SCHOOLS THAT THEY'RE GOING TO AND I JUST DON'T THINK IT'S RIGHT >> Reporter: SO THE GOVERNMENT SAID IT'S ENDING THE GRADE 9 DIVIDE BETWEEN ACADEMIC AND APPLIED STREAMS AND IT'S BANNING SUSPENSION FOR YOUNG STUDENTS WHICH HAVE BEEN SHOWN TO TARGET BLACK STUDENTS >> THE EDUCATION POLICY AND PRACTISES ARE SYSTEMICALLY DISCREDITED >> Reporter: THIS EDUCATOR SAYS THE CHANGES COULD DIS-MANTLE A CULTURE OF LOW EDUCATION

>> IT DEFINITELY WILL CREATE A LEVEL PLAYING FIELD FOR STUDENTS >> Reporter: ONTARIO TRIED TO DESCREEN GRADE 9 IN THE MID90'S >> I WAS A CLASSROOM TEACHER IN THE MID90'S AND I TAUGHT THESE ENGLISH CLASSES AND THEY WERE DIFFICULT >> Reporter: A TEACHER'S UNION SAYS IT WASN'T AWARE OF THE PROVINCE'S PLAN, TO TRY AGAIN >> I HAVE A GREAT DEAL OF CONCERN ABOUT THE SINCERITY OF HIS PURSUIT OF THIS GOAL

>> Reporter: STILL, IT'S THE TYPE OF PROGRESS KATHY MCDONALD HAS BEEN FIGHTING FOR >> IT'S BEEN FRUSTRATING AND DEHUMANIZING A LOT OF THE TIME AND TO SEE CHANGES, LIKE SOMEBODY IS LISTENING >> Reporter: SHE HOPES THAT IT'S JUST THE START JACQUELINE HANSEN, CBC NEWS, TORONTO >> Adrienne: STILL ON ISSUES OF RACE, A CANADIAN-BORN WOMAN COULD FACE A YEAR IN JAIL FOR DOING THIS

>> AN AFRICAN-AMERICAN MAN, I'M IN THE PARK, HE'S RECORDING ME AND THREATENING MYSELF AND MY DOG >> TODAY NEW YORK STATE OFFICIALS CHARGED AMY COOPER WITH FILING A FALSE REPORT, CALLING 9-1-1 TO SAY A BLACK MAN WAS THREATENING HER IN FACT, THE MAN, AN AVID BIRD WATCHER ASKED HER TO PUT HER DOG ON A LEASH AS IS REQUIRED IN THAT PART OF CENTRAL PARK >>> A TOP BRITISH PRINTER SAYS SPRINTER SA YS SHE AND HER BOYFRIEND WERE PROFILED MARGARET EVANS SHOWS US THE VIDEO THAT FORCED THE COUNTRY'S LEADERS TO SAY WHERE THEY STAND ON SYSTEMIC RACISM

>> Reporter: A VIDEO ALREADY VIRAL, THE DISTRESS IN BIANCA WILLIAMS VOICE CLEAR, FIRST WHEN HER PARTNER WAS TAKEN OUT OF THE CAR AND HANDCUFFED BY POLICE AND AS SHE WAS FORCED OUT OF THE BACK AND AWAY FROM HER 3-YEAR-OLD BABY THE COUPLE DENIED POLICE CLAIMS THAT THEY WERE DRIVING SUSPICIOUSLY >> TO BE IN THAT FRONT-LINE ALONG WITH MY SON, IT WAS JUST AWFUL >> Reporter: WILLIAMS IS A CHAMPION SPRINTER HOPING TO REPRESENT BRITAIN AT THE TOKYO OLYMPICS HER PARTNER, RICARDO DESANTOS SAYS IT'S NOT THE FIRST TITLE HE'S BEEN STOPPED BY POLICE FOR NO APPARENT REASON

>> I WOULD SAY IT'S MY NORMAL IT'S HORRIBLE TO SAY, IT'S NORMAL >> Reporter: TENS OF THOUSANDS OF BRITAINS HAVE TAKEN TO THE STREETS IN BLACK LIVE'S MATTER MARCHES IN RECENT WEEKS AND BLACK PEOPLE IN THE UNITED KINGDOM ARE NEARLY TEN TIMES TO BE STOPPED BY POLICE IN STOP AND SEARCH OPERATIONS THAN WHITE PEOPLE CRITICS SAY IT PROVES BRITAIN HAS YET TO DEAL WITH INSTITUTIONAL RACISM >> YOU KNOW, WE HAVE ONE WORD FOR A KALEIDOSCOPE, RACIST AND TOO OFTEN, PEOPLE ARE IN DENIAL OF IT BECAUSE IT SOUNDS SO AWFUL

AND YET, THE FACTS SPEAK VERY CLEAR >> Reporter: TODAY, THE BRITISH PRIME MINISTER, BORIS JOHNSON, WHO HAS BEEN TAKEN TO TASK FOR USING RACIST LANGUAGE IN THE PAST WAS ASKED IF BRITAIN IS A RACIST COUNTRY >> THE LAST 20 YEARS OR SO, WE'VE CHANGED, CHANGED, CHANGED, BUT THAT DOESN'T MEAN WE'VE DONE ENOUGH >> Reporter: THE METROPOLITAN POLICE ISSUED A STATEMENT SAYING AFTER A REVIEW, THEY'RE SATISFIED THEIR OFFICERS BEHAVED APPROPRIATELY WILLIAMS AND DESANTOS ARE SAID TO BE CONSIDERING LEGAL ACTION

MARGARET EVANS, CBC NEWS, LONDON >> Adrienne: NEW DATA SHOWS THE STAGGERING IMPACT OF COVID-19 ON FIRST NATIONS GRAPPLING WITH ADDICTION IN BRITISH COLUMBIA UP NEXT, THE PROGRAMS LOST TO THE PANDEMIC AND WHAT COULD HELP PLUS, MAKING MUSIC SAFELY [ * ] >> HEALTH OFFICIALS HAVE WARNED AGAINST CHOIR SINGING AFTER A DEADLY OUTBREAK, BUT SOME CANADIAN CHOIR DIRECTORS ARE PUSHING BACK

AND THE SURVIVAL STORY YOU HAVE GOT TO HEAR >> LIKE A FREIGHT TRAIN GOING THROUGH THE MIDDLE OF HIRE YOUR HOUSE >> HOW GARRY AND >> Adrienne: TODAY MARKS SEVEN YEARS SINCE THE LAC-MÉGANTIC RAIL DISASTER THE QUEBEC COMMUNITY UNVEILED A MEMORIAL AT THE FORMER SITE OF A LOCAL PUB WHERE MANY PEOPLE DIED IN 2013, A TRAIN CARRIED CRUDE OIL DERAILED AND EXPLODED KILLING 47 PEOPLE

AND IN WINNIPEG, PROSECUTORS SEEK AN ADULT SENTENCE FOR THE 15-YEAR-OLD ACCUSED OF KILLING DANIELLE COTE THE 27-YEAR-OLD WOMAN WAS SHOT WALKING WITH HER CANADA ON CANADA DAY AND THE TEENS ARE ACCUSED OF A STRING OF APPARENTLY RANDOM SHOOTINGS ALL WITHIN 24 HOURS >>> THERE IS ANOTHER HEALTH CRISIS UNFOLDING IN BC AND FIRST NATIONS ARE DISPROPORTIONATELY AFFECTED, THE OPIOID EPIDEMIC AND COVID IS ONLY MAKING IT WORSE

>> I'VE HAD FAMILY MEMBERS THAT HAVE PASSED AWAY BECAUSE THEY CAN'T USE WITH THEIR FRIENDS >> Reporter: CHRIS LIVINGSTONE WORKS ON VANCOUVER'S EAST SIDE ON JUNE 21st, WHILE HE WAS HELPING OUT FOR NATIONAL INDIGENOUS PEOPLE'S DAY, HE DISCOVER HIS SISTER, RON DON WAS RHONDA WA S ALONE AS TRAINING >> MY SISTER WAS OVERDOSING IN A HOTEL BY HERSELF >> Reporter: COVID-19 MEANT SOME OVERDOSE PREVENTION SITES HAVE BEEN SCALED BACK AND HEALTH OFFICIALS SAY MORE PEOPLE ARE USING ALONE ON THE STREETS OR IN THEIR ROOMS

THE DRUG SUPPLY HAS BEEN DISRUPTED EXPERTS SAY IT'S NOW MORE TOXIC >> YOU KNOW, PEOPLE REALLY STOOD UP AND GOT BEHIND THE PUBLIC WHO HELPED MEASURES FOR COVID-19 AND BECAUSE THAT'S AN INFECTIOUS DISEASE, BUT WHEN IT COMES TO THE ONGOING OPIOID CRISIS, THAT HAS ALL KINDS OF OTHER, YOU KNOW, STIGMAS ASSOCIATED WITH IT >> Reporter: FIRST NATION'S PEOPLE MAKE UP JUST OVER 3% OF THE PROVINCE'S POPULATION, BUT ACCOUNT FOR MORE THAN 16% OF ILLICIT DRUG DEATHS BETWEEN JANUARY AND MAY, 89 PEOPLE DIED OF DRUG OVERDOSES, A 93% INCREASE OVER THE SAME PERIOD NEXT YEAR

>> YOU'RE TAKING A RISK ANY WHICH WAY YOU LOOK AT IT >> Reporter: MELISSA STEINHAUER STRUGGLES WITH ADDICTION AND RELIEVED TO HAVE ACCESS TO PRESCRIPTION DRUGS BUT IT WAS SHORT LIVED SHE WAS CUT OFF AFTER SHE MISSED TWO DAYS OF DAILY PICK-UPS >> I WAS GIVEN SOMETHING AND NOW EASILY TAKEN AWAY, SO IT'S A LOT TO TAKE IN AND A LOT TO DEAL WITH >> Reporter: SHE WISHES IT WAS EASIER TO GET ACCESS TO A SAFE SUPPLY BECAUSE NOW, LIKE SO MANY OTHERS, SHE'S BACK TO GETTING HER DRUGS OFF THE STREET

BRIER STUART, CBC NEWS, VANCOUVER >> Adrienne: STILL AHEAD ON "THE NATIONAL," BUSINESS IS BOOMING AT HARDWARE STORES AS THE BACKYARD BECOMES 2020'S HOT SUMMER DESTINATION >> I'M REALLY ENJOYING IT I'M USED TO RUSHING FROM PLACE TO PLACE AND THE FACT THAT I'M FORCED TO SIT DOWN, TALK TO A GOOD FRIEND >> REAPING THE BENEFITS OF THE STAY-AT-HOME SUMMER

PLUS, WHEN WE COME BACK, DR ISAAC BOGOCH IS HERE TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTIONS INCLUDING THIS ONE, MY MANICURIST THINKS THE UV USED FOR SHELLACK >>> WELCOME BACK AND TIME NOW FOR YOUR COVID-19 QUESTIONS WITH ME TONIGHT TO GUIDE US THROUGH THIS IS DR ISAAC BOGOCH

THANK YOU FOR JOINING US WE ARE A COUPLE IN OUR 80'S WITH HEALTH ISSUES, WE'RE APPREHENSIVE ABOUT OUR DENTAL APPOINTMENTS WHEN IS IT SAFE FOR US TO GO? >> THREE A CHALLENGING QUESTION THAT'S A CHALLENGING QUESTION IN CANADA, WE'RE ONLY SEEING 300 TO 400 CASES A DAY IN A COUNTRY OF 38 MILLION PEOPLE

I THINK IT'S LOW RISK PEOPLE SHOULD ADHERE TO GUIDELINES AND IF DENTISTS ARE OPEN AND SAFE TO GO TO IN YOUR COMMUNITY, BY ALL MEANS, YOU SHOULD GO OF COURSE, EVERYONE WILL TAKE THEIR OWN ASSESSMENT OF THE SITUATION AND PEOPLE HAVE THEIR OWN RISK ASSESSMENTS AND RISK TOLERANCES AND IF IT'S OK FOR YOURSELF, IF YOU FEEL OK TO GO AND OK IN YOUR COMMUNITY TO GO, THEN GO >> STILL SO SUCH STRESS ABOUT BASIC STUFF MY MANICURIST THINKS THE LIGHT USED FOR ME MANICURES KILLS COVID-19

WHAT'S YOUR CONCERN? >> I WOULD BE CONCERNED WITH PEOPLE IN AN INDOOR SETTING IN A PROLONGED PERIOD OF TIME THERE'S AN OUTBREAK IN KINGSTON, ONTARIO, WITH A RELATION LIKE THAT CERTAINLY, IF THE AREA IS CLEANED DOWN AND PEOPLE ARE WEARING MASKS, THAT WILL REDUCE THE TRANSMISSION AND RELATED TO THE ULTRA-VIOLET RAYS, THERE ARE COMMERCIALLY AVAILABLE PRODUCTS NOW THAT USE A CERTAIN TYPE OF ULTRA-VIOLET RAISE TO HELP STERILIZE THE EQUIPMENT IT'S NOT SAFE TO BE IN THE ROOM TURNED ON, BUT THERE IS EVIDENCE FOR ULTRA-VIOLET LIGHT TO BE USED TO CLEAN OFF SURFACES >> OK

DO YOU THINK IT'S SAFE THAT BLUE JAYS' PLAYERS AND THE STAFF HAVE ARRIVED IN TORONTO FROM A COVID HOT SPOT THAT'S FLORIDA? >> OH, THAT'S AN INTERESTING QUESTION I THINK IT'S REALLY IMPORTANT THAT WE DISTINGUISH BETWEEN PLAYER SAFETY AND PUBLIC SAFETY WHEN WE'RE TALKING ABOUT PLAYERS COMING IN, LET'S TALK ABOUT PUBLIC SAFETY WE KNOW THERE ARE COVID CASES IN THREE ANFLORIDA AND WHEN PEOPLE COME INTO CANADA, THEY HAVE TO QUARANTINE AND WE'VE HEARD THESE PLAYERS WILL BE QUARANTINING IN A HOTEL AND THAT'S ATTACHED TO THE BASEBALL FIELD SO AS LONG THEY ADHERE TO THE QUARANTINE AND STAY WITHIN THAT FACILITY AND NOT MINGLING OUTSIDE OF THAT AREA, THERE SHOULD BE LITTLE TO NO RISK TO THE PUBLIC SAFETY

OF COURSE, PEOPLE IN FLORIDA AND PLAYERS WHO ARE COMING IN CERTAINLY MIGHT BE AT RISK OF HAVING THE INFECTION BUT AS LONG THEY ADHERE TO THE QUARANTINE, THERE REALLY SHOULDN'T BE AN ISSUE WITH PUBLIC SAFETY I SHOULD REMIND PEOPLE THAT DAY AFTER DAY, THERE ARE THOUSANDS AND THOUSANDS AND THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE THAT COME INTO CANADA, EITHER THEY FLY IN OR COME IN ACROSS THE BORDER SO, OBVIOUSLY, THIS IS AN AREA THAT IS UNDER A SPOTLIGHT BECAUSE OF PROFESSIONAL ATHLETES WHEN WE LOOK AT THE NUMBER OF PEOPLE COMING IN FOR THIS PROFESSIONAL SPORT VERSUS THE PEOPLE ON A DAY-TO-DAY BASIS, IT'S A DROP IN THE BUCKET AS LONG THEY'RE ADHERING TO THE QUARANTINE, THERE SHOULD BE NO ISSUES WITH PUBLIC SAFETY

>> I HAVE A HEALTHY NEWBORN BABY AND SHOULD I BE COMPLETELY RESTRICTING VISITORS DUE TO THE COVID RISK? >> WELL, IT'S IMPORTANT PEOPLE ADHERE TO THE GUIDELINES IN THEIR REGION IN ONTARIO, YOU'RE ALLOWED A BUBBLE OF TEN AND IF YOU'RE BABY, INCLUDED IN THAT BUBBLE, IS PART OF THAT BUBBLE, AND EVERYONE ELSE IS ADHERING TO THE SAME CARE TO MAKE SURE THEY DON'T GET INFECTED, IT SHOULDN'T BE AN ISSUE IF YOU'RE WORRIED ABOUT PEOPLE IN YOUR BUBBLE THAT MIGHT BE GETTING THE INFECTION, THEN YOU HAVE TO RETHINK WHO IS IN YOUR BUBBLE AND ALLOWING THEM ACCESS TO YOUR BABY >> AS ALWAYS, DR ISAAC BOGOCH THANK YOU

>>> SESEND US THE QUESTIONS YOU HAVE@COVID@CBCCA >>> THERE'S TO QUESTION THE PANDEMIC HAS MADE SUMMER PLANS UNCERTAIN, BUT IOANNA ROUMELIOTIS TELLS US, WITH MANY CAMPS CANCELED AND MOST TRAVEL DISCOURAGED, FOR A LOT OF FAMILIES, KEEPING COOL MEANS HOME AND SLOWING DOWN >> Reporter: THE JOY OF A CLASSIC SUMMER, SO MAGICAL, SO SIMPLE UNTIL YOU HEAR NATASSA'S SECRET BEHIND IT >> IT'S NOT JUST GO OUTSIDE AND PLAY

WE DO A LOT OF STATIONS >> Reporter: KEEPING THE PEACE MAY INVOLVE FREEBIES AND THEN THERE'S ALL THIS >> THE WAGON IS NEW, THE BICYCLES ARE ALL NEW, THE HELMETS ARE ALL NEW AND WE JUST PURCHASED SMALL, SIX-FOOT POOL FOR THE BACKYARD SO A LOT, YES >> Reporter: FOR WORKING PARENTS, TAKING TURNS WORKING FROM THE GARAGE, IT'S ALL ABOUT SURVIVING

>> PETER WOULD HAVE BEEN IN DAYCARE THE ENTIRE SUMMER AND SOPHIA WOULD HAVE BEEN IN CAMPS BACK-TO-BACK [ * ] >> Reporter: TRAVEL PLANS ON PAUSE LIFE IN GENERAL HAS SLOWED DOWN, TOO FROM URBAN ESCAPES TO BACKYARD MOVIE NIGHTS, STAYCATIONS ARE NOW THE RULE AND MANY ARE FINDING BEING STILL FEELS DIFFERENT WHEN YOU'RE TAKING YOUR TIME GETTING THERE >> I'M REALLY ENJOYING IT AND RUSHING FROM PLACE TO PLACE AND THE FACT THAT I'M FORCED TO JUST SIT DOWN, TALK TO A GOOD FRIEND

>> I ENJOY BEING IN MY NEIGHBORHOOD, VERY SIMPLE THING I DON'T NEED TO, LIKE, FLY ON A PLANE OR WHATEVER >> Reporter: AND WITH FEWER PLACES TO GO, IT'S ALSO ABOUT MAKING HOME FIELD LIKE A VACATION, TOO POOL SALES ARE SKYROCKETING >> A LOT OF PEOPLE AREN'T ABLE TO GO TO COTTAGES OR CAMPS AND SO, WE'RE SEEING PEOPLE JUST REALLY INVEST IN THEIR BACKYARDS

>> Reporter: FOR THOSE ON A TIGHTER BUDGETS, ANYTHING RELATED TO BACKYARDS IS GOING FAST OR ALREADY GONE FROM BARBECUES TO KIDDIE POOLS >> I GET PHONE CALLS EVERYDAY, BOTH A BLOW-UP OR PLASTIC POOL I SAY, WELL, I DON'T HAVE A POOL BUT I HAVE SPRINKLERS AND THEY'RE DISAPPEARING >> Reporter: BACK ON THE BLOCK, SPRINKLERS ARE OFF

THE NIGHTLY SOCIAL BUBBLE IS ON THEIR WORLD MAY BE SMALLER, BUT IT'S BIGGER, TOO >> BEING ABLE TO TEACH MY SON TO RIDE HIS BIKE AND BEING THERE FOR MILESTONE MOMENTS THAT WE MAY NOT HAVE BEEN THERE FOR HAD WE BEEN WORKING ALL THE TIME FOR SURE >> Reporter: AND THERE'S BEAUTY IN NOT HAVING TO BE ANYWHERE ELSE IOANNA ROUMELIOTIS, CBC NEWS, PICKERING, ONTARIO

>>> STILL AHEAD ON "THE NATIONAL," FINDING A SAFE WAY TO DO THIS [ * ] (SINGING) >> SOCIALLY DISTANCE, EVENING EVEN MASKING, IS IT ENOUGH TO KEEP CHOIRS SAFE BUT FIRST — >> SHE WAS YOUNG, A LOVING, KIND, CARING PERSON >> ONE IN THREE BLACK AMERICANS KNOW SOMEONE WHO HAS DIED OF COVID-19

SUSAN ORMISTON WITH A STORY OF A PANDEMIC EXACERBATED BY PREJUDICE, PRIVILEGE AND POLITICS >> WITH COVID-19, THE US ALREADY SEEMS TO BE THROUGH THE WORST MONTHS AGO WITH SCENES OF DOCTORS HELPLESS >> YOU NEVER FORGET THE FACES AND THE WAY THEY LOOKED AT ME BEFORE DYING

>> A MAKE-SHIFT MORGUES OF MASS BURIALS AS THE FIRST PEA AS THE FIRST PEAK PASSED BY MID-MAY, AT LEAST 100,000 PEOPLE WERE DEAD IS YET, CASES SKYROCKET AGAIN >> THE NUMBER OF PEOPLE GETTING SICK AND GOING TO HOSPITALS HAVE EXPONENTIALLY INCREASED >> OFFICIALS ARE SHOUTING WARNINGS AGAIN >> WE ARE IN THE FIGHT OF OUR LIVES

>> WE'LL SEE THE NUMBER OF DEATHS START TO RISE AGAIN >> PUT THE DAMN MASK ON! >> WARNINGS UNHEARD OR UNHEEDED [ * ] >> THE VIRUS' DEATH TOLL IN THE UNITED STATES IS EQUAL TO THE TERRORIST ATTACKS OF 9-1-1 40 TIMES OVER AND IF SOME SEEM UNABLE TO RECKON WITH THAT LOSS OR THE THREAT OF MORE, SUSAN ORMISTON SHOWS US, THIS VIRUS HAS BEEN MASKED BY INEQUALITY AND FUELED BY DIVISION [ * ] >> Reporter: BEHIND THE STATISTICS ARE FAMILIES AND SOME AMERICANS BEARING MORE OF A BUR THAN OTHERS AS PRESIDENT TRUMP TRIES TO DIMINISH THE TOLL STILL RISING, LOVED ONES ARE BEING MOURNED, STOLEN TOO SOON

CYNTHIA WATSON WAS 64 IS WORKED AT THE PENTAGON ONCE BEFORE A STROKE PUTTENER A NURSING HOME IN JUST TWO WEEKS SHE WENT FROM A HOME TO A DC HOSPITAL AND DIED THERE WE MET HER DAUGHTER AT THE FUNERAL HOME

>> SHE WAS YOUNG, A LOVING, KIND, CARING PERSON DUE TO COVID, COVID HAD TO TAKE HER AWAY FROM US AND WE'RE JUST HEARTBROKEN AND JUST PRAYING FOR THE REST OF THE PEOPLE IN THE COMMUNITY THAT WE DON'T LOSE ANY MORE LIFE BECAUSE I DON'T WANT ANYBODY TO EXPERIENCE WHAT I WENT THROUGH I'M SO HEARTBROKEN >> Reporter: WE'RE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER, SO THE SAYING GOES, BUT THE TOLL IN THE U

S IS NOT EQUALLY SHARED ONE IN THREE BLACK AMERICANS KNOW SOMEONE WHO HAS DIED OF COVID-19 COMPARED TO ONE IN TEN WHITE AMERICANS PANDEMIC DEATHS DOG TRUMP'S LEADERSHIP

HIS PLAYING DOWN THE PERSISTENCE OF THE VIRUS IN FAVOUR OF OPENING UP THE ECONOMY HAS COST HIM HIS PREDICTIONS WERE SKEWED FROM THE START FEBRUARY 26th — WHEN YOU HAVE 15 PEOPLE AND 15 WITHIN IN A COUPLE OF DAYS WILL BE DOWN TO CLOSE TO ZERO, THAT'S A GOOD JOB WE'VE DONE >> Reporter: FEBRUARY 28th — 35,000 PEOPLE ON AVERAGE DIE EACH YEAR FROM THE FLU DID ANYONE KNOW THAT? 35,000

THAT'S A LOT OF PEOPLE >> Reporter: THE CORONAVIRUS HAS KILLED CLOSE TO FOUR TIMES AS MANY AND YOU WONDER THE PRESS IS IN HYSTERIA MODE CNN, FAKE NEWS, AND THEIR CAMERA JUST WENT OFF >> Reporter: BUT I END OF MARCH, NO MORE SMILES

>> WHAT DO YOU SAY TO AMERICANS WATCHING YOU RIGHT NOW WHO ARE SCARED? I SAY YOU'RE A TERRIBLE REPORTER, THAT'S WHAT I SAY I THINK THAT'S A VERY NASTY QUESTION AND I THINK IT'S A VERY BAD SIGNAL YOU'RE PUTTING OUT TO THE AMERICAN PEOPLE >> UNFORTUNATELY, WE HAVE A PRESIDENT IN THIS COUNTRY WHO GOVERNS B BIPOLARIZATION AND SKYEDEDECIDED TO GO WITH THAT >> Reporter: TRUMP MADE WEARING A MASK A SIGN OF INDEPENDENCE AND EVEN BLIND LOYALTY AT A PACKED RALLY >> I DON'T THINK WE'LL ESCAPE THIS POLARIZED FRAMEWORK IN WHICH WEARING A MASK WHICH SIDE YOU'RE ON

>> Reporter: LONG BEFORE DONALD TRUMP GOT TO THE WHITE HOUSE, THEODORE GAFFNEY WAS THERE AS A PHOTOGRAPHER >> HE WAS ONE OF THE FIRST BLACK AMERICANS TO GO IN THE WHITE HOUSE AND TAKE PICTURES AND HE GOT INVOLVED WITH THE FREEDOM WRITERS AS A JOURNALIST >> Reporter: THE FREEDOM RIDERS RODE BUSES INTO THE SEGREGATED SOUTH IN 1961 AND GAFFNEY TOOK PICTURES AND DIDN'T LIVE LONG ENOUGH TO SEE THIS SPRING'S REVOLUTION FOR JUSTICE IN EARLY APRIL, HE GOT SICK AND WOULDN'T EAT OR DRINK >> THAT'S WHEN HE TOOK TO GEORGE WASHINGTON HOSPITAL AND A COUPLE OF HOURS LATER, THEY SAID HE HAD COVID-19 AND NEVER CAME OUT

>> Reporter: HE AND MARIA MET IN HER HOME BRAZIL UNTIL COVID TOOK HIM >> THIS VIRUS IS KILLING FAST, ESPECIALLY THE EDERLY FOLKS HE WAS 92 YEARS OLD AND HE DIDN'T HAVE A CHANCE WITH THE VIRUS >> HE WAS 92 AND YOU SAY HE WAS VERY ACTIVE >> VERY ACTIVE, YES

HE WOULD DRIVE, NEED TO GO SOMEWHERE BECAUSE AT 92, THAT DOESN'T MEAN YOU'RE LIKE EVERYBODY ELSE I WENT TO THE HOSPITAL AND LOOK AT ME THROUGH THE WINDOW AND WATCHED HIM IN PAIN HE WASN'T ABLE TO BREATHE ON HIS OWN OR TALK IT WAS NOT FUN TO WATCH SOMEBODY DIE , ESPECIALLY BECAUSE OF COVID-19

DO NOT TELL ME YOU BECAUSE HE'S 92 THAT HE DIED OF COVID-19 I WAS EXPECTING HIM TO LIVE A LOT LONGER , TO STAY WITH ME BECAUSE WE'VE BEEN TOGETHER SO LONG AND HE LOST HIS LIFE AND I'M THE BIGGEST LOSER BECAUSE I DON'T HAVE HIM ANY MORE >> Reporter: IN THE END, THE CORONAVIRUS IS NOT BURIED PANDEMIC POLITICS WHICH PROPELLED STATES TO REOPEN NOW PRESENT NEW DEATHS AND LEAVE BEHIND NEWLY BEREAVED

>> WHAT DO YOU WANT TO TELL PEOPLE, KEISHA? >> WEAR YOUR MASK, DON'T HAVE LARGE GATHERINGS AND TAKE THIS SERIOUSLY BECAUSE IT ONLY BECOMES SERIOUS TO SOME WHEN IT HIT THEIR FAMILY AND WE DON'T WANT TO HAVE TO BURY ANOTHER FAMILY MEMBER OR PERSON IN THE WORLD BECAUSE WE CARE ABOUT THE PEOPLE WHO ARE DYING I WATCH THE NUMBERS AND I HOPE AND PRAY THEY FIND A VACCINATION SO EVERYBODY CAN STOP DYING >> Reporter: SADLY, IN 2020, SAYING GOODBYE IS ALL TOO FREQUENT SUSAN ORMISTON, CBC NEWS, WASHINGTON >> THE CANADIAN TOLL FROM COVID-19 IS, OF COURSE, ALSO MUCH MORE THAN A STATISTIC

THIS IS REAL PEOPLE RIPPED FROM THEIR LIVES AND LOVED ONES, LEAVING MEMORIES BEHIND TONIGHT WE REMEMBER JEAN-PIERRE LEGARE (SPEAKING FRENCH) >> MORE THAN 8700 CANADIANS HAVE DIED AFTER CONTRACTING COVID-19 WE'VE GATHERED MANY STORIES ONLINE AND YOU CAN FIND THEM AT CBCCA/REMEMBERED

>>> NEXT ON "THE NATIONAL," STAYING SAFE WHILE COMING TOGETHER (SINGING) >> DESPITE WARNINGS, CHOIR DIRECTORS SAY THERE IS A SAFE WAY TO SING THAT'S NEXT >> TOMORROW ON CBC'S DAILY NEWS PODCAST, HOW THE PRIME MINISTER'S RELATIONSHIP WITH THE POPULAR WE CHARITY LEAD TO HIS THIRD ETHIC'S INVESTIGATION

SUBSCRIBE WHEREVER YOU GET YOUR PODCASTS [ * ] * I HAVEN'T BEEN THERE FOR THE LONGEST TIME >> Adrienne: IN THE AGE OF PHYSICAL DISTANCING, THIS IS THE NEW NORMAL FOR CANADIAN CHOIRS BELTING OUT A TUNE OR TWO VIRTUALLY [ * ] >> IT SOUNDS GOOD, BUT SINGING TOGETHER APART ISN'T HITTING THE RIGHT NOTE FOR EVERYBODY

BESIDES MUSIC, CHOIRS ARE ALL ABOUT CONNECTIONS AND SOMETHING MISSING FOR A LOT OF PEOPLE RIGHT NOW AND SO AS DEANA SUMANAC-JOHNSON EXPLAINS, EVEN AS HEALTH OFFICIALS CAUTION AGAINST IT, CANADIAN CHOIRS ARE PUSHING TO RESUME IN-PERSON PRACTISES SAFELY (SINGING) >> Reporter: THEIR VOICES USUALLY ATTRACTED CROWDED, BUT THIS SUMMER, THIS IS THE ONLY WAY THE ALORA SINGERS AND OTHER CHOIRS IN CANADA ARE GETTING TOGETHER >> RIGHT NOW IT'S A CAUTION TO PEOPLE THAT THIS IS NOT THE TIME TO BE HAVING YOUR CHOIR PRACTISE

>> Reporter: AND THAT STRUCK THE WRONG CORD A GROUP OF CHOIR DIRECTORS WROTE AN OPEN LETTER CRITICIZES WHAT THEY CALLED OUT OF DATE, INSUFFICIENTLY RESEARCHED, ANTIDOTAL INFORMATION >> SINGING AS AN OUTCHOIR, AS THIS DANGEROUS ACTIVITY, WE JUST WANT TO BE SURE THAT IT'S NOT THAT NARRATIVE THAT IS BEGINNING TO SHAPE AND FORM THE POLICY THAT GOVERNMENTS FOLLOW >> Reporter: MORE THAN 50 STATE SINGERS CONTRACTED COVID WITH TWO MEMBERS DYING CAUGHT THE ATTENTION OF LAWMAKERS, BUT HOW CHOIRS TYPICALLY REHEARSE LIKELY PLAYED A ROLE IN PUBLIC HEALTH RECOMMENDATIONS, SAID DR ISAAC BOGOCH

>> WE THINK ABOUT RISK FACTORS FOR COVID-19, IT'S GETTING PEOPLE IN CLOSE PROXIMITY IN AN INDOOR ENVIRONMENT WHERE YOU CAN'T PRACTISE NE PHYSICAL DISTANCING AND NOT WEARING MASKS >> Reporter: SINGERS ARE STANDING AT A DISTANCE AND MASKS CAN REDUCE RISKS ACCORDING TO A GERMANY STUDY >> YOU CAN SING, YOU CAN TALK AND BREATHE, BUT THEY PREVENT OR THEY RETAIN THE DROPLETS AND >> Reporter: MARK RONAN SAYS CANADA CHOIRS WOULD BE HAPPY TO FOLLOW SUIT >> WE WANT TO HAVE A SEAT AT THAT TABLE AND DISCUSS HOW CAN WE MODIFY THE KINDS OF ACTIVITIES THAT WE DO, TO DO THEM SAFELY? >> Reporter: UNTIL THEY CAN SING, HE WILL CONTINUE USING HIS VOICE TO MAKE SURE CANADA'S CHOIRS AREN'T SILENT FOR MUCH LONGER DEANA SUMANAC-JOHNSON, CBC NEWS, TORONTO

>>> WHEN WE COME BACK, IMAGINE LYING IN YOUR BED WHEN A MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT MUDSLIDE COMES CRASHING THROUGH YOUR WALL? >> LITERALLY, IT TOOK 35 SECONDS TO GET OUR HOUSE FULL OF MUD AND DIRT >> HOW IT ALL WENT DOWN AND HOW GARRY AND >> Adrienne: GARRY AND MABLE MOORE OF McBRIDE, BC WERE IN BED WHEN WITHOUT WARNING A WALL OF MUD AND ROCKS PLOWED INTO THEM THEY WERE IN A MUDSLIDE AND THEIR HOUSE WAS GOING UNDER

THEIR SURVIVAL IS OUR "MOMENT" >> IT LITERALLY KNOCKED US ON TO OUR FEET AND WE WERE IN TWO FEET OF WATER >> LIKE A FREIGHT TRAIN GOING THROUGH THE MIDDLE OF YOUR HOUSE, THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN ABOUT THE WAY IT WAS IT TOOK 35 SECONDS TO GET OUR HOUSE FULL OF MUD AND DIRT >> WE HAD OUR GRANDDAUGHTER'S LITTLE DOG

I GRABBED HER AND HUNG ON TO HER FOR THE WHOLE DURATION >> BY THE TIME I BROKE A WINDOW OUT, IT WAS UP TO OUR KNEE >> WE RAN TO OUR NEIGHBOURS AND I RAN UPSTAIRS TO HER PLACE, HOLLERED AND YELLED AT HER AND GOT HER OUT OF BED AND GRABBED HER CAR KEYS AND HER CAR AND WE WENT UP THE ROAD ABOUT A KILOMETER OR SO AND WENT TO OUR FRIEND'S ALL I COULD THINK ABOUT WAS, WHAT IF ANOTHER ONE COMES DOWN RIGHT AWAY? IT WOULD HAVE WIPED US OUT AND WE WOULDN'T HAVE STOOD A CHANCE IN THE MIDOF THE LAW MIDDLE OF THE LAWN OR DOWN ON THE ROAD I'M THANKFUL WE HAVE GARRY AND HE HAS ME AND WE HAVE OUR FAMILY IAND FRIENDS AND WE'LL GET THROUGH THIS

>> WE'RE THANKFUL YOU'RE OK MARRIED 49 YEARS AND IN THAT HOUSE FOR 37 YOU'RE MADE OF TOUGH STUFF MABLE HAS BRUCES ALL OVER AND GARRY WAS IN SURGE FOR AN HOUR SURGERY FOR AN HOUR AND A HALF AND WE'RE GLAD YOU'RE OK THAT'S "THE NATIONAL" FOR THIS JULY 6th

GOODNIGHT [ * ]

Source: Youtube

This div height required for enabling the sticky sidebar