Hit enter after type your search item
Wzy Word

HERE ARE THE WORLD'S NEWS

Special Report: Coronavirus Task Force Holds News Conference | NBC News (Live Stream)

/
/
/
608 Views
img

>>> THIS MORNING, I SPOKE WITH THE LEADERS OF THE G7 NATIONS AND THEY REALLY HAD A GOOD MEETING

I THINK IT WAS A VERY, VERY PRODUCTIVE MEETING I ALSO SPOKE WITH OUR NATION'S GOVERNORS THIS AFTERNOON, WE'RE ANNOUNCING NEW GUIDELINES FOR EVERY AMERICAN TO FOLLOW OVER THE NEXT 15 DAYS AS WE COMBAT THE VIRUS EACH AND EVERY ONE OF US HAS A CRITICAL ROLE TO PLAY IN STOPPING THE SPREAD AND TRANSMISSION OF THE VIRUS WE DID THIS TODAY

THIS WAS DONE BY A LOT OF VERY TALENTED PEOPLE SOME OF WHOM ARE STANDING WITH ME AND THAT'S AVAILABLE AND DR BURKS WILL BE SPEAKING ABOUT THAT IN JUST A FEW MINUTES

IT'S IMPORTANT FOR THE YOUNG AND HEALTHY PEOPLE TO UNDERSTAND THAT WHILE THEY MAY EXPERIENCE MILD SYMPTOMS, THEY CAN EASILY SPREAD THIS VIRUS AND THEY WILL SPREAD IT, INDEED, PUTTING COUNTLESS OTHERS IN HARM'S WAY WE ESPECIALLY WORRY ABOUT OUR SENIOR CITIZENS THE WHITE HOUSE TASK FORCE MEETS EVERY DAY AND CONTINUALLY UPDATES GUIDELINES BASED ON THE FAST-EVOLVING SITUATION THAT THIS HAS BECOME ALL OVER THE WORLD IT'S ALL OVER THE WORLD IT'S INCREDIBLE WHAT'S HAPPENING IN SUCH A SHORT PERIOD OF TIMES

ONE OF THE GUIDELINES BEING CONDUSTED AND OUR CONSULTATION WITH GOVERNORS WE'VE MADE THE DECISION TO TOUGHEN GUIDELINES TO FIGHT THE INFECTION NOW WE WOULD MUCH RATHER BE AHEAD OF THE CURVE THAN BEHIND IT AND THAT'S WHERE WE ARE THEREFORE, MY ADMINISTRATION IS RECOMMENDING THAT ALL AMERICANS, INCLUDING THE YOUNG AND HEALTHY, WORK TO ENGAGE IN SCHOOLING FROM HOME WHEN POSSIBLE, AVOID GATHERING IN GROUPS OF MORE THAN TEN PEOPLE, AVOID DISCRETIONARY TRAVEL, AND AVOID EATING AND DRINKING IN BARS, RESTAURANTS, AND PUBLIC FOOD COURTS IF EVERYONE MAKES THIS CHANGE OR THESE CRITICAL CHANGES AND SACRIFICES NOW, WE WILL RALLY TOGETHER AS ONE NATION AND WE WILL DEFEAT THE VIRUS AND WE'RE GOING TO HAVE A BIG CELEBRATION ALTOGETHER WITH SEVERAL WEEKS OF FOCUSED ACTION, WE CAN TURN THE CORNER AND TURN IT QUICKLY

A LOT OF PROGRESS HAS BEEN MADE I'M PLEASED TO REPORT TODAY THAT A VACCINE CANDIDATE HAS BEGUN THE PHASE ONE CLINICAL TRIAL THIS IS ONE OF THE FASTEST VACCINE DEVELOPMENT LAUNCHES IN HISTORY WE'RE RACING TO DEVELOP ANTI-VIRAL THERAPIES, THE WE'VE HAD PROMISING RESULTS BUT PROMISING TO REDUCE THE SEVERITY AND THE DURATION OF THE SYMPTOMS I HAVE TO SAY THAT OUR GOVERNMENT IS PREPARED TO DO WHATEVER IT TAKES, WHATEVER IT TAKES WE'RE DOING, BUT WE'RE DOING IT IN EVERY WAY

WITH THAT, I'D LIKE TO JUST INTRODUCE DR BURKS WHO IS GOING TO DISCUSS SOME OF THE THINGS THAT WE STRONGLY RECOMMEND THANK YOU >> THANK YOU, MR PRESIDENT

I THINK YOU KNOW OVER THE LAST MONTHS, WE'VE TAKEN VERY BOLD ACTION TO STOP THE VIRUS FROM COMING TO OUR SHORES AND BECAUSE OF THAT, WE GAINED TIME TO REALLY GET TOGETHER AND UNDERSTAND THE PROGRESS ACROSS THE GLOBE OF WHAT HAS WORKED AND WHAT HASN'T WORKED WE NOW NEED TO APPEAL TO EVERY SINGLE AMERICAN SO THAT THEY CAN HAVE THEIR ROLE IN STOPPING THE SPREAD OF THIS VIRUS WE'VE TALKED ABOUT THINGS BEFORE ABOUT WASHING YOUR HANDS, BUT WE REALLY WANT TO FOCUS ON IF YOU ARE SICK, NO MATTER WHO YOU ARE, PLEASE STAY HOME IF SOMEONE IN YOUR HOUSEHOLD IS DIAGNOSED WITH THIS VIRUS, THE ENTIRE HOUSEHOLD SHOULD QUARANTINE IN THE HOUSE TO PREVENT SPREAD OF THE VIRUS TO OTHERS

THE REASON WE'RE TAKING THESE STRONG AND BOLD STEPS IS BECAUSE WE KNOW THERE IS VIRUS SPREAD BEFORE YOU DEVELOP SYMPTOMS AND THEN WE KNOW THAT THERE'S A LARGE GROUP WHO — WE DON'T KNOW THE PRECISE PRERS YET THAT IS ASYMPTOMATIC AND HAS MILD CASES THAT THEY CONTINUE TO SPREAD THE VIRUS IF YOUR CHILDREN ARE SICK, PLEASE KEEP THEM HOME NOW TO OUR OLDER POPULATION OR THOSE WITH PRE-EXISTING MEDICAL CONDITIONS, EVERYONE IN THE HOUSEHOLD NEEDS TO FOCUS ON PROTECTING THEM EVERYONE IN THE HOUSEHOLD I WANT TO SPEAK PARTICULARLY TO OUR LARGEST GENERATION NOW

OUR MILLENNIALS I HAVE THE MOM OF TWO WONDERFUL MILLENNIAL YOUNG WOMEN WHO ARE BRIGHT AND HARD WORKING AND I WILL TELL YOU WHAT I TOLD TO THEM THEY ARE THE CORE GROUP THAT WILL STOP THIS VIRUS THEY ARE THE GROUP THAT COMMUNICATES SUCCESSFULLY, INDEPENDENT OF PICKING UP A PHONE THEY INTUITIVELY KNOW HOW TO CONTACT EACH OTHER WITHOUT BEING IN LARGE SOCIAL GATHERINGS

WE'RE ASKING ALL OF THEM TO HOLD THEIR GATHERINGS TO UNDER TEN PEOPLE NOT JUST IN BARS AND RESTAURANTS, BUT IN HOMES WE REALLY WANT PEOPLE TO BE SEPARATED AT THIS TIME TO BE ABLE TO ADDRESS THIS VIRUS COMPREHENSIVELY THAT WE CANNOT SEE FOR WHICH WE DON'T HAVE A VACCINE OR A THERAPEUTIC, THE ONLY THING WE HAVE RIGHT NOW IS THE AMAZING INGENUITY AND COMPASSION OF THE AMERICAN PEOPLE WE'RE APPEALING TO ALL AMERICANS TO TAKE THESE STEPS TO PROTECT EACH OTHER AND TO ENSURE THAT THE VIRUS DOESN'T SPREAD

THESE GUIDELINES ARE VERY SPECIFIC, THEY'RE VERY DETAILED, THEY WILL ONLY WORK IF EVERY AMERICAN TAKES THIS TOGETHER TO HEART AND RESPONDS AS ONE NATION AND ONE PEOPLE TO STOP THE SPREAD OF THIS VIRUS THANK YOU >> THOOUNG VERY MUCH, DR BIRX SO JUST TO CONNECT WITH WHAT I MENTIONED TO YOU IN PREVIOUS DISCUSSIONS IN THIS ROOM AND DR

BIRX SAID IT VERY WELL, THAT IN ORDER TO BE ABLE TO CONTAIN AND CURTAIL THIS EPIDEMIC TO NOT REACH ITS MAXIMUM CAPABILITY, WE HAVE A TWO PILLAR APPROACH ONE OF WHICH I BELIEVE HAS BEEN VERY EFFECTIVE IN PREVENTING THE SUBSTANTIAL SEATING AND NAMELY THE TRAVEL RESTRICTION THAT'S WE'VE DISCUSSED MANY TIMES IN THIS ROOM THE OTHER EQUALLY IF NOT MORE IMPORTANT IS WHEN YOU HAVE INFECTION IN YOUR OWN COUNTRY, WHICH WE DO, AND YOU KNOW I CAN PREVIEW THE NUMBERS, BUT THEY'RE ESSENTIALLY WHAT WE'VE SEEN YESTERDAY, INCREMENTAL INCREASES BOTH GLOBALLY AND IN THE UNITED STATES WITH THE CURVE DOING THAT THEREFORE, THE KINDS OF THINGS WE DO ARE CONTAINMENT AND MITIGATION WHAT WE'RE MENTIONING NOW, THE GUIDELINES, WHEN YOU LOOK AT THEM CAREFULLY, I BELIEVE IF THE PEOPLE IN THE UNITED STATES TAKE THEM SERIOUSLY, BECAUSE THEY WERE BASED ON SOME RATHER SERIOUS CONSIDERATION BACK AND FORTH, SOME MAY LOOK AT THEM AND SAY THEY'RE GOING TO BE REL REALLY INCONVENIENT FOR PEOPLE

SOME WILL SAY MAYBE WE'VE GOT TOO FAR THEY WERE WELL THOUGHT OUT AND THE THING THAT I WANT TO REEMPHASIZE AND I'LL SAY IT OVER AND OVER AGAIN WHEN YOU'RE DEALING WITH AN EMERGING INFECTIOUS DISEASES OUTBREAK, YOU ARE ALWAYS BEHIND WHERE YOU THINK YOU ARE IF YOU THINK THAT TODAY REFLECTS WHERE YOU REALLY ARE THAT'S NOT WORD SPEAK

IT MEANS, IF YOU THINK YOU'RE HERE, YOU'RE REALLY HERE BECAUSE YOU'RE ONLY GETTING THE RESULTS THEREFORE, IT WILL ALWAYS SEEM THAT THE BEST WAY TO ADDRESS IT WERE TO BE DOING SOMETHING THAT LOOKS LIKE IT MIGHT BE AN OVERREACTION IT ISN'T AN OVERREACTION IT'S A REACTION THAT WE FEEL IS NECESSARY WHICH IS ACTUALLY GOING ON IN REALITY SO TAKE A LOOK AT THE GUIDELINES

READ THEM CAREFULLY AND WE HOPE THAT THE PEOPLE OF THE UNITED STATES WILL TAKE THEM VERY SERIOUSLY BECAUSE THEY WILL FAIL IF PEOPLE DON'T ADHERE TO THEM WE HAVE TO HAVE, AS A WHOLE COUNTRY, COOPERATE AND COLLABORATE TO MAKE SURE THESE GET DONE THANK YOU >> OKAY

GO AHEAD >> MR PRESIDENT A LOT OF PEOPLE ARE CONCERNED ABOUT HOW LONG ALL OF THIS MIGHT LAST DO YOU HAVE ANY KIND OF ESTIMATE THAT IF AMERICANS REALLY WERE TO BAND TOGETHER AND DO WHAT THE WHITE HOUSE IS SUGGESTING, HOW QUICKLY WE CAN TURN THIS CORNER? >> MY FAVORITE QUESTION

I ASK IT ALL THE TIME HOW MANY TIMES, ANTHONY, I THINK I ASKED THEM THAT QUESTION EVERY DAY AND I SPEAK TO DEBORAH, I SPEAK TO A LOT OF THEM I GET THE OPINIONS SO IT SEEMS TO ME THAT IF WE DO A REALLY GOOD JOB, WE'LL NOT ONLY HOLD THE DEATH DOWN TO A LEVEL THAT IS MUCH LOWER THAN THE OTHER WAY HAD WE NOT DONE A GOOD JOB, BUT PEOPLE ARE TALKING ABOUT JULY, AUGUST, SOMETHING LIKE THAT SO IT COULD BE RIGHT IN THAT PERIOD OF TIME WHERE — I SAY IT WASHES THROUGH

OTHER PEOPLE DON'T LIKE THAT TERM BUT WHERE IT WASHES THROUGH >> SO IS THIS THE NEW NORMAL UNTIL THE HEIGHT OF THE SUMMER? >> WE'LL SEE WHAT HAPPENS, BUT THEY THINK AUGUST, COULD BE JULY, COULD BE LONGER THAN THAT BUT I'VE ASKED THAT QUESTION MANY, MANY TIMES >> THAT BEING SAID, MR

PRESIDENT, AMERICANS TODAY AND LOOKING FORWARD ARE LIVING WITH SO MUCH ANXIETY AND SO MUCH FEAR FACING UNCERTAINTY RIGHT NOW, I'M CURIOUS, HOW ARE YOU TALKING TO YOUR OWN FAMILY ABOUT THIS, HOW ARE YOU TALKING TO YOUR YOUNGEST SON? DO YOU EMPATHIZE WITH THIS SENSE OF ANXIETY? PEOPLE ARE REALLY SCARED >> YEAH NO, I THINK THEY ARE VERY SCARED I THINK THEY SEE THAT WE'RE DOING A VERY PROFESSIONAL JOB WE'VE BEEN WORKING WITH THE GOVERNORS AND FRANKLY THE MAYORS, LOCAL GOVERNMENT AT HE EVERY LEVEL

WE HAVE FEMA TOTALLY INVOLVED USUALLY WE SEE FEMA FOR THE HURRICANES AND THE TORNADOS, AND NOW WE HAVE FEMA INVOLVED IN THIS THEY'VE BEEN DOING A FANTASTIC JOB LOCALLY WORKING WITH PEOPLE THAT THEY KNOW AS AN EXAMPLE, IN CALIFORNIA, IN THE STATE OF WASHINGTON, THEY WORK WITH THEM A LOT ON OTHER THINGS AND THEY'RE VERY FAMILIAR SO THEY'RE WORKING ON IT WHAT YOU CAN DO AND ALL YOU CAN DO IS PROFESSIONAL, TOTALLY COMPETENT, WE HAVE THE BEST PEOPLE IN THE WORLD

WE HAVE REALLY THE GREATEST EXPERTS IN THE WORLD AND SOME DAY SOON HOPEFULLY IT WILL END AND WE'LL BE BACK TO WHERE IT WAS BUT THIS CAME UP, WE CAME UP SO SUDDENLY, WE WERE ALL SURPRISED WE HEARD ABOUT IT WE HEARD ABOUT REPORTS FROM CHINA SOMETHING WAS HAPPENING AND ALL OF A SUDDEN WE DID MAKE A GOOD DECISION WE CLOSED OUR BOARDERS TO CHINA VERY QUICKLY, VERY RAPIDLY

THAT WAS A — OTHERWISE WE WOULD BE IN A VERY — AS STONEY HAS SAID NUMEROUS TIMES, WE WOULD BE IN A VERY BAD POSITION, MUCH WORSE THAN WHERE WE ARE RIGHT NOW YOU LOOK AT WHAT'S HAPPENING IN OTHER COUNTRIES, ITALY IS HAVING A VERY HARD TIME AND I'VE SPOKEN WITH MY SON AND HE SAYS, HOW BAD IS THIS? IT'S BAD IT'S BAD BUT WE'RE GOING TO BE HOPEFULLY A BEST CASE, NOT A WORST CASE AND THAT'S WHAT WE'RE WORKING FOR

YES? >> CLEAR UP SOME CONFUSION ON TWO KEY FRONTS ONE IS ABOUT YOUR OWN TEST AND THE OTHER IS ABOUT CONTAINMENT EFTS IS THE ADMINISTRATION CONSIDERING MORE AGGRESSIVE CONTAINMENT OPTIONS LIKE A QUARANTINE, A NATIONAL CURFEW? >> WE HAVE THAT VERY MUCH YEAH, WE HAVE THAT VERY MUCH AND WE'VE BEEN PRETTY AGGRESSIVE WE WERE EARLY WITH EUROPE, BUT VERP VERY, VERY EARLY WITH CHINA AND OTHER PLACES

AND FORTUNATELY WE WERE AS FAR AS CONTAINMENT HERE, WE ARE COMING OUT WITH STRONG SUGGESTIONS AND, YOU KNOW, IT'S BECOMING A LITTLE BIT AUTOMATIC YOU LOOK AT PEOPLE, THEY'RE NOT DOING CERTAIN THINGS, FOR INSTANCE, THEY'RE OBVIOUSLY NOT — I WOULDN'T SAY THE RESTAURANT BUSINESS IS BOOMING IN BARS AND GRILLS AND ALL THAT PEOPLE ARE SELF-CONTAINING TO A LARGE EXTENT WE LOOK FORWARD TO THE DAY WHEN WE CAN GET BACK TO NORMAL

>> ARE YOU CONSIDERING INSTITUTING A NATIONWIDE LOCKDOWN, A NATIONWIDE QUARANTINE? THE NSC KNOCKED THAT DOWN, BUT THERE'S STILL SOME QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW IT ALL — >> AT THIS POINT, NOT NATIONWIDE THERE ARE SOME PLACES IN OUR NATION THAT ARE NOT VERY AFFECTED AT ALL BUT WE MAY LOOK AT CERTAIN AREAS, CERTAIN HOT SPOTS, AS THEY CALL THEM WE WILL BE LOOKING AT THAT BUT AT THIS MOMENT, NO, WE'RE NOT

>> THE SECOND QUESTION IS YOU SAID YOU HAD YOUR CORONAVIRUS TEST FRIDAY NIGHT THE WHITE HOUSE DOCTOR'S OFFICE PUT OUT A STATEMENT AROUND MIDNIGHT FRIDAY SAYING NO TEST WAS INDICATED SO WHEN EXACTLY WAS YOUR TEST ADMINISTERED? >> WELL, I HAD MY TEST LATE FRIDAY NIGHT AND THE REASON I DID IT WAS BECAUSE THE — I HAD NO SYMPTOMS WHATSOEVER, SO THE DOCTOR SAID YOU HAVE NO SYMPTOMS SO WE DON'T SEE ANY REASON BUT WHEN I DID THE PRESS CONFERENCE FRIDAY, EVERYBODY WAS GOING CRAZY

DID YOU DO THE TEST? DID YOU DO THE TEST? SO VERY LATE ON FRIDAY NIGHT, I DID THE TEST AND HE MAY HAVE PUT OUT OR THE DOCTOR MAY HAVE PUT OUT SOMETHING THAT A — I DON'T KNOW WHAT TIME THE LETTER WENT OUT MAYBE IT WAS PUT UP BE SOMEBODY ELSE BUT THE RESULTS CAME BACK I BELIEVE THE FOLLOWING DAY AND WE TESTED NEGATIVE >> BUT THE QUESTION IS HOW COULD THE WHITE HOUSE DOCTOR'S OFFICE SAID IT WASN'T INDICATED WHEN, IN FACT, YOU TOLD THEM — >> WELL, I WENT TOTALLY BY WHAT THEY SAID I DID A TEST LATE ON FRIDAY NIGHT AND IT CAME BACK PROBABLY 24 HOURS OR LATER SOMETHING

>> YOU HAD A TELECONFERENCE WITH THE NATION'S GOVERNORS TODAY AND IN THAT TELECONFERENCE, YOU TOLD THEM IF THEY NEED THINGS LIKE RESPIRATORS OR MASKS TO TRY TO GET IT ON THEIR OWN WHAT DID YOU MEAN BY THAT AND WHAT — >> IF THEY CAN GET THEM FASTER BY GETTING THEM ON THEIR OWN IN OTHER WORDS, GO THROUGH A SUPPLY CHAIN THEY MAY HAVE BECAUSE THE GOVERNORS DURING NORMAL TIMES, THE GOVERNORS BUY A LOT OF THINGS, NOT NECESSARILY THROUGH THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT

IF THEY'RE ABLE TO GET VENTILATORS, RESPIRATORS, WITHOUT HAVING TO GO THROUGH THE LONGER PROCESS OF FEDERAL GOVERNMENT — WE HAVE STOCKPILES NOW AND WE'RE ORDERING TREMENDOUS NUMBERS OF MASKS, VENTILATORS AND THEY'RE COMING AND WE HAVE QUITE A FEW AT THIS POINT WE HAVE A LOT BUT IF THEY CAN GET THEM DIRECTLY, IT'S ALWAYS GOING TO BE FASTER IF THEY CAN GET THEM DIRECTLY IF THEY NEED THEM AND I'VE GIVEN THEM AUTHORIZATION TO ORDER DIRECTLY >> ONE OF THE BIG WEAKNESSES IN OUR HEALTH SYSTEM IS SEARCH CAPACITY FOR MEDICAL FACILITIES AND I WANTED TO ASK WHAT PRECAUTIONS, WHAT PLAN IS BEING DONE TO GET — HOSPITALS AND MATTER OF DAYS

ARE YOU PREPARED TO USE THE CORPS OF ENGINEERS OR FEMA TO START BUILDING SEARCH CAPACITY WE MADE NEED IN A COUPLE OF WEEKS? >> FOIFRT ALL, THAT'S WHAT WE'RE DOING WE'RE TAKING A VERY STRICT LOOK AT THIS WE'RE LOOKING AT AREAS, WE'RE EXPANDING CERTAIN AREAS, WE'RE TAKING OVER BUILDINGS THAT AREN'T USED WE'RE DOING A LOT IN THAT REGARD WE HOPE THAT WE DON'T HAVE TO GET THERE

BUT WE'RE DOING A LOT IN THAT REGARD >> COULD YOU CLARIFY SOMETHING? THESE GUIDELINES SAY STAY HOME IF THEY'RE SICK YESTERDAY THE VICE PRESIDENT SAID NO ONE SHOULD WORRY ABOUT LOSING A PAY ECONOMIC IF THEY STAY HOME WHEN THEY'RE SICK BUT THE HOUSE BILL EXEMPTS COMPANIES OF 500 EMPLOYEES OR MORE FROM PAID SICK LEAVE REQUIREMENTS AND THAT'S 54% OF THE AMERICAN WORKPLACE WHY IS IT A GOOD IDEA TO ONLY REQUIRE SMALL BUSINESS TOES PROVIDE — >> WELL, WE'RE LOOKING AT THAT AND WE MAY BE EXPANDING THAT

WE WANT FAIRNESS, WE WANT IT FOR EVERYBODY WE'RE LOOKING AT THAT THROUGH THE SENATE BECAUSE THE SENATE IS NOW DIGESTING THAT BILL SO WE MAY VERY WELL BE EXAMINING THAT >> TWO QUESTIONS HERE, MR PRESIDENT

ONE, HOW MANY VENTILATORS AND HOW MANY ICU VENTS DO WE HAVE RIGHT NOW AND WILL IT BE ENOUGH? >> I CAN GET BACK TO YOU WITH THAT NUMBER WE'VE ORDERED A LOT IT MAY NOT BE ENOUGH IF IT'S NOT ENOUGH, WE WILL HAVE THEM BY THE TIME WE NEED THEM >> AND YOU CAN GIVE YOU AEN EXACT NUMBER? >> IF IT'S IMPORTANT, WE'LL GIVE YOU A NUMBER

GO AHEAD >> YESTERDAY YOU SAID THIS WAS UNDER TREMENDOUS CONTROL DO YOU WANT TO REVISIT THAT STATEMENT IF WE'RE GOING TO BE EXPERIENCING THIS UNTIL JULY OR AUGUST — >> WHEN I'M TALKING ABOUT CONTROL, I'M SAYING WE ARE DOING A VERY GOOD JOB WITHIN THE CONFINES OF WHAT WE'RE DEALING WITH WE'RE DOING A VERY GOOD JOB THERE'S BEEN A TREMENDOUS AMOUNT OF THE WAY THEY'RE WORKING TOGETHER, THEY'RE WORKING HAND IN HAND

I THINK THEY'RE DOING REALLY A GREAT JOB AND FROM THAT STANDPOINT, THAT'S WHAT I WAS REFERRING TO YES >> YOU'RE NOT SAYING IT'S UNDER CONTROL, RIGHT? >> I'M NOT REFERRING TO IT, MEANING THE — >> CORONAVIRUS >> YEAH

IF YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT THE VIRUS, NO, THAT'S NOT UNDER CONTROL FOR ANY PLACE IN THE WORLD I THINK I READ — NO, I DIDN'T I WAS TALKING ABOUT WHAT WE'RE DOING IS UNDER CONTROL, BUT I'M NOT TALKING ABOUT THE VIRUS YES, PLEASE >> THE STOCK MARKET TOOK ANOTHER HIT TODAY

IS THE US ECONOMY HEADING INTO A RECESSION? >> WELL, IT MAY BE WE'RE NOT THINKING IN TERMS OF RECESSION WE'RE THINKING IN TERMS OF THE VIRUS

I THINK THERE'S A PENT UP DEMAND BOTH IN TERMS OF THE STOCK MARKET AND IN TERMS OF THE ECONOMY ONCE THIS GOES AWAY, ONCE IT GOES THROUGH AND WE'RE DONE WITH IT, I THINK YOU'RE GOING TO SEE A TREMENDOUS, TREMENDOUS SURGE >> ARE YOU LOOKING AT ANY DOMESTIC TRAVEL RESTRICTIONS? I KNOW THAT'S BEEN ON THE TABLE BEFORE, BUT IS THAT FIRMING UP AT ALL? >> WE'RE NOT REALLY WE HOPE WE DON'T HAVE TO, STEVE WE THINK THAT HOPEFULLY WE WON'T HAVE TO DO THIS, BUT IT'S CERTAINLY SOMETHING THAT WE TALK ABOUT EVERY DAY

WE HAVEN'T MADE THAT DECISION >> DOCTORS AND NURSES IN THIS COUNTRY ARE TELLING US ACROSS THE BOARD THEY'RE TERRIFIED OF THIS VIRUS, OF THE FACT THAT THEY COULD GET IT OR THE FACT THAT THEY MIGHT TAKE IT HOME TO THEIR FAMILIES WHAT CAN YOU SAY TO ASSURE HEALTH CARE PROVIDERS IN THIS COUNTRY THAT THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT IS DOING SOMETHING TODAY TO MAKE SURE THEY GET PERSONAL PROTECTIVE EQUIPMENT TO MAKE SURE THEY CAN PROTECT THEMSELVES AND THEIR FAMILY? >> I THINK THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT IS DOING EVERYTHING WE CAN POSSIBLY DO WE MADE SOME GOOD EARLY DECISIONS BY KEEPING PEOPLE OUT, KEEP CERTAIN COUNTRIES OUT WHERE THE INFECTION WAS IMMENSE I NOTICED A LOT OF PEOPLE ARE TALKING ABOUT SOUTH KOREA BECAUSE THEY'VE DONE A GOOD JOB ON ONE SIDE, BUT ON THE OTHER SIDE, TREMENDOUS PROBLEMS AT THE BEGINNING

THEY HAD TREMENDOUS PROBLEMS AND GREAT NUMBERS OF DEATH I THINK THAT WE'VE DONE A FANTASTIC JOB FROM JUST ABOUT EVERY STANDPOINT WITH THAT BEING SAID, YOU LOOK — NO MATTER WHERE YOU LOOK, THIS IS SOMETHING, IT'S AN INVISIBLE ENEMY, BUT WE ARE SPEAKING ALL THE TIME, NOT ONLY WITH THE PEOPLE, BUT ALSO THE PROFESSIONAL PEOPLE, THE NURSES, THE DOCTORS, THEY HAVE BEEN DOING A FANTASTIC JOB WE ARE ALSO WORKING VERY MUCH ON GETTING THEM THE KIND OF EQUIPMENT THAT THEY NEED AND FOR THE MOST PART, THEY'RE EITHER — THEY EITHER HAVE IT OR THEY WILL BE GETTING IT BUT REMEMBER THIS, WE WANT THE GOVERNORS, WE WANT THE MAYORS, WE WANT THEM LOCALLY FROM A LOCAL STANDPOINT BECAUSE IT CAN GO QUICKER

WE WANT THEM TO WORK AND WE HAD A GREAT TALK WITH THE GOVERNORS TODAY I THINK IT WAS A REALLY GREAT TALK THERE'S A TREMENDOUS COORDINATION, THERE'S A TREMENDOUS SPIRIT THAT WE HAVE TOGETHER WITH THE GOVERNORS AND THAT'S PRETTY MUCH, FOR THE MOST PART, BIPARTISAN

>> YOU TOLD JOHN THAT YOU THINK THIS COULD WASH THROUGH, AS YOU SAID, JULY, AUGUST YOU JUST TOLD STEVE WHEN HE ASKED YOU ABOUT THE POSSIBILITY OF RECESSION, YOU SAID IT MAY BE I'M CURIOUS IF THERE IS A RECESSION, WHEN DO YOU THINK THAT MIGHT HIT? >> WELL, I DON'T — NUMBER ONE, DETERMINE RECESSION I JUST SAY THIS WE HAVE AN INVISIBLE ENEMY

WE HAVE A PROBLEM THAT A MONTH AGO NOBODY EVER THOUGHT ABOUT, NOBODY IN — YOU KNOW, I READ ABOUT IT I READ ABOUT MANY YEARS AGO, 1917, 1918, I'VE SEEN ALL OF THE DIFFERENT PROBLEMS SIMILAR TO THIS THAT WE'VE HAD THIS IS A BAD ONE THIS IS A VERY BAD ONE THIS IS BAD IN THE SENSE THAT IT'S SO CONTAGIOUS, IT'S JUST SO CONTAGIOUS, SORT OF RECORD SETTING TYPE CONTAGION

AND THE GOOD PART IS, THE YOUNG PEOPLE ARE — THEY DO VERY WELL AND HEALTHY PEOPLE DO VERY WELL VERY, VERY BAD FOR OLDER PEOPLE, ESPECIALLY OLDER PEOPLE WITH PROBLEMS MY FOCUS IS REALLY ON GETTING RID OF THIS PROBLEM, THIS VIRUS PROBLEM ONCE WE DO THAT, EVERYTHING ELSE IS GOING TO FALL INTO PLACE YES, PLEASE? >> MR

PRESIDENT, A LOT OF RUMORS LAST NIGHT THAT YOU WERE GOING TO PUT IN A NATIONAL CURFEW OR SOME KIND OF — >> YEAH I'VE BEEN WATCHING >> RIGHT EXACTLY ME, TOO

YOUR PEOPLE WERE SAYING THIS IS A FOREIGN DISINFORMATION CAMPAIGN IS THAT WHAT'S GOING ON? ARE PEOPLE MESSING WITH US ON THE INTERNET? >> WELL, THAT I DON'T KNOW I CAN'T TELL YOU IF THEY ARE OR NOT I THINK A LOT OF MEDIA HAS BEEN VERY FAIR I THINK PEOPLE ARE PULLING TOGETHER ON THIS

I THINK THE MEDIA IS BEING VERY FAIR IT COULD BE THAT YOU HAVE SOME FOREIGN GROUPS THAT ARE PLAYING GAMES, BUT IT DOESN'T MATTER WE HAVEN'T REALLY DETERMINED TO DO THAT AT ALL AND HOPEFULLY WE WON'T HAVE TO THAT'S A VERY BIG STEP

IT'S A STEP WE CAN TAKE, BUT WE HAVE NOT DECIDED TO DO IT JENNIFER >> MR PRESIDENT — >> MR PRESIDENT, TWO THINGS

ONE ON AIRLINES AND ONE ON JEFF BEZOS CAN YOU TALK ABOUT WHAT YOU WOULD LIKE TO DO TO HELP THE AIRLINES? AND SECOND OF ALL, WE HEARD JEFF BEZOS HAS BEEN IN CONTACT WITH THE WHITE HOUSE DAILY CAN YOU SAY WHAT HE'S BEEN ASKING FOR OR — >> I HEARD THAT IS TRUE I DON'T KNOW THAT FOR A FACT BUT I HEAR SOME OF MY PEOPLE HAVE BEEN DEALING WITH THEM OR WITH HIM

AND THAT'S NICE WE'VE HAD TREMENDOUS SUPPORT FROM A LOT OF PEOPLE THAT CAN HELP AND I BELIEVE HE WAS ONE OF THEM AS FAR AS THE AIRLINES ARE CONCERNED, THE AIRLINES, WE'RE GOING TO BACK THE AIRLINES 100% IT'S NOT THEIR FAULT

IT'S NOBODY'S FAULT UNLESS YOU GO TO THE ORIGINAL SOURCE BUT IT'S NOBODY'S FAULT AND WE'RE GOING TO BE IN A POSITION TO HELP THE AIRLINES VERY MUCH WE'VE TOLD THE AIRLINES WE'RE GOING TO HELP THEM >> WELL, MR

— >> WE'RE GOING TO BE HEALTHY WE'RE GOING TO BE BACK STOPPING THE AIRLINES IT'S VERY IMPORTANT >> ABOUT THE STOCK MARKET, SIR — >> $25 BILLION FOR THE PASSENGER CARRIERS AND $4 BILLION FOR CARGO? >> WE'RE GOING TO BE LOOKING AT IT VERY STRONGLY WE HAVE TO BACK THE AIRLINES

IT'S NOT THEIR FAULT IN FACT, THEY WERE HAVING A RECORD SEASON AND THEN THIS CAME OUT AND IT CAME OUT FROM NOWHERE NOT THEIR FAULT >> AS STOCKS CONTINUE TO FALL TODAY, CAN YOU SUPPORT NEGATIVE RATES? >> THE BEST THING HE CAN DO FOR THE STOCK MARKET IS WE HAVE TO GET THROUGH THIS CRISIS THAT'S WHAT I CAN DO

ONCE THIS VIRUS HAS GONE, I THINK YOU'RE GOING TO HAVE A STOCK MARKET LIKE NOBODY HAS EVER SEEN BEFORE >> ARE WE GOING TO BE VOTING TOMORROW, MR PRESIDENT? >> MR PRESIDENT, THE OTHER DAY — >> HE'LL BE BACK IN A SECOND I THINK THE QUESTION THAT I THINK JOHN ASKED ABOUT UNTIL JULY, THE GUIDELINES ARE A 15-DAY TRIAL GUIDELINE TO BE RECONSIDERING

IT ISN'T THAT THESE GUIDELINES ARE NOW GOING TO BE IN EFFECT UNTIL JULY WHAT THE PRESIDENT WAS SAYING IS THAT THE TRAJECTORY OF THE OUTBREAK MAY GO UNTIL THEN MAKE SURE WE DON'T THINK THESE ARE SOLID UNTIL JULY >> THAT WOULD BE THE OUTSIDE NUMBER >> FOLLOW-UP, SENATE REPUBLICANS, DO YOU WANT SENATE REPUBLICAN TOES CHANGE THE PACKAGE THAT PASSED THE HOUSE LAST WEEK? >> I THINK THEY MAY MAKE IT EVEN BETTER

LOOK, THEY'RE WORKING TOGETHER VERY WELL WITH THE HOUSE THEY'RE WORKING VERY MUCH IN UNISON, LIKE THE QUESTION BEFORE THEY'RE WORKING TO ONLY ENHANCE IT AND MAKE IT BETTER AND MAKE IT FAIR FOR EVERYBODY AND THAT'S WHAT WE'RE LOOKING TO DO SO WE MAY GO BACK AND FORTH WITH THE HOUSE A LITTLE BIT, BUT BOTH WILL BE IN A VERY POSITIVE FASHION PLEASE

>> YES, MR PRESIDENT, THESE NEW GUIDELINES SAY AVOID SOCIAL GATHERINGS OF PEOPLE IN GROUPS OF MORE THAN TEN PEOPLE THE CDC RECOMMENDATIONS YESTERDAY WERE FOR PEOPLE TO AVOID GATHERINGS OF MORE THAN 50 PEOPLE WHAT HAS EVOLVED IN YOU AND YOUR TEAM'S THINKING IN JUST THE PAST 24 HOURS? LET ME HAVE THE PROFESSIONALS ANSWER THAT WOULD YOU LIKE TO DO THAT? >> THANK YOU

AND THANK YOU FOR THAT QUESTION SO WE HAVE BEEN WORKING ON MODELS DAY AND NIGHT AROUND THE GLOBE TO PREDICT BECAUSE SOME COUNTRIES THAT ARE VERY EARLY STAGE LIKE THE UNITED STATES, WE'VE BEEN WORKING WITH GROUPS IN THE UNITED KINGDOM SO WE HAD NEW INFORMATION COMING OUT FROM A MODEL AND WHAT HAD THE BIGGEST IMPACT IN THE MODEL IS SOCIAL DISTANCING, SMALL GROUPS, NOT GOING IN PUBLIC IN LARGE GROUPS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING WAS IF ONE PERSON IN THE HOUSEHOLD BECAME INFECTED, DID WHOLE HOUSEHOLD SELF-QUARANTINED FOR 14 DAYS BECAUSE THAT STOPS 100% OF THE TRANSMISSION OF THE HOUSEHOLD

AND AS WE TALKED ABOUT EARLY ON, IT'S SILENT WE HAD ANOTHER SILENT EPIDEMIC, HIV AND I JUST WANT TO RECOGNIZE THE HIV EPIDEMIC WAS SOLVED BY THE COMMUNITY, THE ACTIVISTS AND ADVOCATES WHO STOOD UP WHEN NO ONE WAB LISTENING AND GOT EVERYONE'S ATTENTION WE'RE ASKING THAT SAME SENSE OF COMMUNITY TO COME TOGETHER AND STAND UP AGAINST THIS VIRUS AND IF EVERYBODY IN AMERICA DOES WHAT WE ASK FOR OVER ST NEXT 15 DAYS, WE WILL SEE A DRAMATIC DIFFERENCE AND WE WON'T HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT THE VENTILATORS AND THE ICU BEDS BECAUSE WE WON'T HAVE OUR ELDERLY AND PEOPLE AT THE GREATEST RISK HAVING TO BE HOSPITALIZED >> DOCTOR

>> YES, GO AHEAD, MIKE, PLEASE >> THANK YOU, MR PRESIDENT VERY PRODUCTIVE CALL TODAY WITH GOVERNORS WE TALKED ABOUT THE NEW ROLLOUT TESTING THAT WE DESCRIBED YESTERDAY, DRIVE THROUGH AND COMMUNITY-BASED TESTING

I KNOW HOW GRATEFUL THE PRESIDENT IS FOR THE EFFORTS THAT GOVERNORS ARE MAKING AND NOW WITH THE ADMIRAL AND THE UNITED STATES PUBLIC HEALTH SERVICE AS WELL AS FEMA, WE MADE GREAT PROGRESS TODAY IN COORDINATING THOSE EFFORTS BUT THE OTHER ISSUE THAT WAS RAISED FOR THE PRESIDENT TODAY WAS PERSONAL PROTECTIVE EQUIPMENT AND THE REASON I MENTIONED TESTING IS BECAUSE ONE OF THE RECOMMENDATIONS THAT WE HAVE FOR STATES IS THAT THESE REMOTE TESTING SITES MAKE A PRIORITY OF TWO GROUPS ONE WOULD BE PEOPLE OVER THE AGE OF 65 THAT HAVE SYMPTOMS WE DON'T WANT THEM TO GO TO HOSPITALS OR EMERGENCY ROOMS

WE WANT THEM TO GO TO A REMOTE SITE IN A PARKING LOT OR AT AN ISOLATED COMMUNITY LOCATION BUT THE OTHER CATEGORY IS OUR HEALTH CARE WORKERS WE WANT TO MAKE SURE THAT OUR HEALTH CARE WORKERS HAVE THE OPPORTUNITY TO BE TESTED AND USING THAT NEW TEST THAT THE PRESIDENT ARRANGED WITH OUR MAJOR COMMERCIAL LABS, WE'LL BE ABLE TO DO THAT MORE EXPEDITIOUSLY SO WE'RE PUTTING A REAL PRIORITY ON OUR EXTRAORDINARY HEALTH CARE WORKERS THAT ARE AT THIS VERY HOUR COMING ALONGSIDE PEOPLE THAT ARE STRUGGLING WITH THE CORONAVIRUS AND PEOPLE THAT ARE CONCERNED THEY MAY HAVE BEEN SUPPOSED THE OTHER PIECE IS WE'RE GRATEFUL THAT THE LEGISLATION PASSED BY THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATION INCLUDES LIABILITY PROTECTION FOR N95 MASKS PRODUCED BY COMPANIES LIKE 3M IN MINNESOTA, BY HONEYWELL

LITERALLY TENS OF MILLIONS OF MASKS ARE PRODUCED EVERY YEAR FOR INDUSTRIAL PURPOSES, FOR CONSTRUCTION BUT THE HEALTH EXPERTS SAY THEY CAN BE USED JUST AS READILY TO PROTECT HEALTH CARE WORKERS FROM RESPIRATORY AILMENTS 3M AND OTHER COMPANIES WERE NOT ABLE TO SELL THOSE TO HOSPITALS, BUT THE PRESIDENT NEGOTIATED WITH THE DEMOCRATIC LEADERSHIP OF THE HOUSE AND SENATE WE'VE ADDED A PROVISION TO THE BILL THAT WILL LITERALLY, FROM ONE COMPANY ALONE, ADD ANOTHER 30 MILLION MASKS PER MONTH BACK TO THE MARKETPLACE WE'RE STRENGTHENING THE SUPPLY CHAIN AND HEALTH CARE WORKERS AROUND AMERICA CAN BE ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN THAT THE PRESIDENT AND OUR ENTIRE TEAM ARE GOING TO CONTINUE TO PUT THE HEALTH OF AMERICA FIRST AND TO PUT FIRST OUR HEALTH CARE WORKERS ACROSS THIS COUNTRY THAT ARE MEETING THE NEEDS OF THE PEOPLE OF OUR COUNTRY

>> HOW MANY TEST KITS HAVE BEEN SENT OUT AND HOW MANY PEOPLE HAVE ACTUALLY BEEN TESTED? >> I THINK THE ADMIRAL CAN ANSWER THAT >> THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR THAT AS WE TALKED ABOUT YESTERDAY, WE'RE REALLY ENTERING A NEW PHASE OF TESTING AT FIRST, WE WERE AT THE INITIAL PHASE WHERE THE CDC DEVELOPED TEST WAS ONLY AVAILABLE IN PUBLIC HEALTH LABORATORIES IN THE CDC WORKS VERY WELL FOR A FEW THOUSAND TESTS PER DAY AFTER IT GETS RUNNING

WE ARE NOW MOVING INTO A PHASE THAT THE BIG COMMERCIAL LABORATORIES WITH HIGH-THROUGHPUT SCREENING HAVE AVAILABILITY AS WE TALKED ABOUT LAST WEEK, BECAUSE OF THE HISTORIC EFFORTS OF THE FDA, A ROSHE TEST AND A THERMOFISHER TEST WERE BOTH PRODUCED LAST WEEK UNDER AN EMERGENCY USE AUTHORIZATION 19 MILLION OF THOSE TESTS WILL BE SEQUENTIALLY INTO THE ECOSYSTEM THIS WEEK FROM THE INFORMATION WE HAVE RIGHT NOW, 1 MILLION TESTS ARE AVAILABLE

WITH ALL THE REAGENTS, EVERYTHING READY TO GO, PRIMARILY AT THE REFERENCE LABS CALLED QUEST, LAPCORPS AND A COUPLE OF THE OTHERS IT DOESN'T MATTER IF THEY'RE NOT IN YOUR NEIGHBORHOOD EVERY DAY WHEN PEOPLE GET TESTS, A LITTLE WHILE BOX GOES OUT IN FRONT, IT GETS SHIPPED BY A DISTRIBUTION SYSTEM, THE TESTS REPORTED AND IT'S PUBLICLY AVAILABLE WE EXPECT MORE AND MORE THAN 1 MILLION COMING ON BOARD THIS WEEK AS THE REAGENTS COME UP AND AS PEOPLE WITH THE TESTING CAPACITY VALIDATE THAT IN THEIR OWN HOSPITALS AND OTHER PLACES AND IN THE FUTURE, WE EXPECT AT LEAST 2 MILLION NEXT WEEK AND AT LEAST 5 MILLION THE WEEK THEREAFTER

THERE ARE ALSO A WHOLE GROWTH OF WHAT'S CALLED LABORATORY DETERMINED TESTING OR LABORATORY DERIVED TESTING WHERE INDIVIDUAL LABORATORIES, BECAUSE OF THE REGULATORY DEREGULATION OF THE FDA CAN DEVELOP THEIR OWN TESTS AND START USING THEM SO IF YOU'RE A CLEA CERTIFIED LAB WITH COMPLEXITY, YOU CAN DO THAT SO THE POINT IS, TESTING IS NOW ENTERING SORT OF WHAT WE NORMALLY DO IN THE HEALTH CARE SYSTEM WHERE BIG LABS AND HIGH THROUGHPUT BASES RECEIVE THESE THROUGH NORMAL CHANNELS THAT PART OF IT IS UNDER WAY >> DO YOU KNOW HOW MANY AMERICANS HAVE ACTUALLY BEEN TESTED? DO YOU HAVE THAT NUMBER? >> THERE IS A NUMBER

I DON'T HAVE THAT NUMBER BECAUSE I'VE BEEN WORKING ON SETTING UP THIS DISTRIBUTION SYSTEM THE STATE AND PUBLIC HEALTH LABORATORIES IN THE CDC ARE PUBLISHED EVERY DAY ON THE CDC WEBSITE THE CDC GETS FEEDS FROM LAB — FROM LAB CORE AND QUEST AND THEY GET THAT ON A DAILY BASIS WHAT IS NOT BEING RECEIVED RIGHT NOW, AMBASSADOR BIRX IS FIXING, IS THAT THESE HOMEGROWN TESTS IN HIGHLY COMPLEX LABS DON'T NECESSARILY GET REPORTED IN THE SYSTEM HOWEVER, AS WE MOVE FORWARD PARTICULARLY IN THE COMMERCIAL PHASE WHERE WE ARE RIGHT NOW, WE EXPECT ABOUT 80% TO 85% OF THE TESTS TO FLOW RIGHT INTO THE CDC

THAT'S NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR AMBASSADOR BIRX SHE WANTS 100 AND WE'RE WORKING ON THAT >> TO PUT IT IN A DIFFERENT WAY, A LOT OF TESTING HAS BEEN GOING ON AND I DON'T BELIEVE ANYBODY IS DOING WHAT WE'LL BE DOING AND WHAT WE'VE BEEN DOING >> AND WE TALKED ABOUT THE DRIVE-THROUGH TESTING YESTERDAY THIS IS JUST ANOTHER TOOL FOR STATES AND LOCAL PUBLIC HEALTH SYSTEMS AND HEALTH CARE SYSTEMS TO USE

IT'S NOT REPLACING TESTING THAT GOES ON IN A DOCTOR'S OFFICE OR IN A HOSPITAL OR IF YOU GO TO YOUR DOCTOR AND WANT TO GET TESTED IN THAT OFFICE THIS IS JUST ANOTHER TOOL THAT WE'RE HELPING THE STATES TO HAVE AND, AGAIN, AS WE TALKED ABOUT, THIS IS MODELLED ON THE FEMA BASED POINTS OF DISTRIBUTION SYSTEM, OPTIMIZED FOR TESTING WE EXPECT THIS WEEK WE NOW HAVE GEAR, PEOPLE BEING SHIPPED RIGHT NOW, TODAY, THAT WILL BE IN OVER 12 STATES WITH MULTIPLE SITES, MANY STATES HAVING MULTIPLE SITES TO START AUGMENTING THE LOCAL CAPACITY AND REALLY PROVIDING THE STATE AND THE LOCAL PEOPLE WHAT THEY NEED AS ANOTHER WAY FOR PEOPLE TO GET TESTED

>> SO THIS HAS NEVER BEEN DONE BEFORE THAT'S NEVER BEEN DONE AND CERTAINLY NOT ON A LEVEL LIKE THAT AND I WILL SAY THAT I THINK I CAN SPEAK FOR THE PROFESSIONALS THAT IF YOU DON'T HAVE THE SYMPTOMS, IF YOUR DOCTOR DOESN'T THINK YOU NEED IT, DON'T GET THE TEST I THINK THAT'S VERY IMPORTANT NOT EVERYBODY SHOULD RUN OUT AND GET THE TEST

>> EARLIER TODAY, GOVERNOR CUOMO OF NEW YORK SAID HOSPITAL CAPACITY WOULD BE SOON OVERWHELMED AND IMPLORED YOU TO CALL ON THE ARMY CORPS OF ENGINEERS TO HELP — >> WE'RE LOOKING INTO IT WE'VE HEARD THAT FROM TWO PLACES, SPECIFICALLY NEW YORK BEING ONE AND WE ARE LOOKING INTO IT VERY STRONGLY YEAH >> STEVE, DO I HAVE THIS? >> HOW HAVE YOU CHANGED YOUR OLD BEHAVIOR TO TAKE ACCOUNT OF THIS VIRUS? ARE YOU WASHING YOUR HANDS MORE OR — >> I'VE ALWAYS WASHED MY HANDS A LOT I WASH MY HANDS A LOT

PROBABLY MAYBE IF ANYTHING, MORE, SERNLT NOT LESS >> WHAT WAS IT LIKE TAKING THE TEST? >> NOT SOMETHING I WANT TO DO EVERY DAY, I CAN TELL YOU THAT IT'S A LITTLE BIT OF A — IT'S A LITTLE BIT OF — GOOD DOCTORS IN THE WHITE HOUSE, BUT IT'S A TEST IT'S A TEST IT'S A MEDICAL TEST

NOTHING PLEASANT ABOUT IT >> YOU SAID IN A TWEET THAT GOVERNOR CUOMO SHOULD BE DOING MORE WHAT — >> I THINK HE CAN DO MORE, BUT I THINK — >> WHAT SPECIFICALLY SHOULD HE BE DOING? >> I THINK HE CAN DO MORE IT'S AN AREA OF THE COUNTRY THAT IS VERY HOT RIGHT NOW I THINK NEW ROCHELLE AND A PLACE I KNOW VERY WELL

I GREW UP RIGHT NEAR NEW ROCHELLE I THINK IT'S AN AREA THAT HAS TO BE FOCUSED ON EVEN MORE NO QUESTION ABOUT IT BUT WE'RE GETTING ALONG VERY WELL IN FACT, I NOTICED YOU MADE SOME STATEMENTS JUST NOW THAT THE RELATIONSHIP WITH MR

CUOMO'S GOVERNMENT HAS DONE EVERYTHING THEY'VE WANTED US TO DO BUT WE CAN — I THINK IT'S VERY IMPORTANT THAT ALL OF THE GOVERNORS GET ALONG VERY WELL WITH US AND THAT WE GET ALONG WITH THE GOVERNORS AND I THINK THAT'S HAPPENING >> MR PRESIDENT, THAT PEOPLE SHOULDN'T — >> THE DEFENSE SECRETARY AND THE ASSISTANT DEFENSE SECRETARY HAVE DECIDED TO SEPARATE AND BE IN A BUBBLE TO AVOID THE SPREAD OF THE DISEASE AND TO PROTECT THE CHAIN OF COMMAND IS THAT SOMETHING THAT YOU AND THE VICE PRESIDENT SHOULD BE DOING AND HAS THERE BEEN ANY TALKED ABOUT HAVING TO HAVE A 25th AMENDMENT — >> WELL, I WILL SAY THIS

THAT IT'S — WE'RE VERY CAREFUL EVEN THE PEOPLE BEHIND ME — WE HAVE SO BE VERY CAREFUL BUT EVERYBODY SHOULD BE VIGILANT WE HAVE TO BE VIGILANT

>> TWO SIMPLE QUESTIONS >> GO AHEAD, PLEASE >> TWO SIMPLE QUESTIONS FOR YOU, MR PRESIDENT >> I DON'T KNOW IF THIS IS A QUESTION FOR YOU OR DR

BIRX, BUT DR BIRX SAID IT IS THE MILLENNIALS THAT WILL LEAD US TO THIS TIME LOOK OUT FOR THE OLDER PEOPLE IN OUR HOME OLDER MIGHT BE A STATE OF MIND, NOT NECESSARILY AN AGE SO FOR THOSE MILLENNIALS OF US WHO HAVE PARENTS IN THEIR 50s, 60s, 70s, WHAT IS OLDER? WHAT SHOULD WE TELL THEM AT THIS POINT? >> WELL, IF I WAS DR FAUCI, I WOULD TELL YOU THERE'S A PHYSIOLOGICAL AGE AND A NUMERICAL AGE

SO OLDER PEOPLE WITH PRE-EXISTING CONDITIONS — AND WHAT DO WE MEAN BY THAT? YOU KNOW, SIGNIFICANT HEART DISEASE, SIGNIFICANT KIDNEY DISEASE, SIGNIFICANT LUNG DISEASE, ANY IMMUNO SUPPRESSION, ANY RECENT TREATMENT FOR CANCER, ANY OF THOSE PIECES AND ANY HOUSEHOLD WHY DO I THINK THE MILLENNIALS ARE THE KEY? BECAUSE THEY'RE THE ONES THAT ARE OUT AND ABOUT AND THEY'RE THE MOST LIKELY TO BE IN SOCIAL GATHERINGS AND THEY'RE THE MOST LIKELY TO BE THE LEAST SYMPTOMATIC AND I THINK WE'VE ALWAYS HEARD ABOUT THE GREATEST GENERATION

WE'RE PROTECTING THE GREATEST GENERATION RIGHT NOW AND THE CHILDREN OF THE GREATEST GENERATION AND I THINK THE MILLENNIALS CAN HELP US STRELY BY HAVING — PLUS THEY NEED TO COMMUNICATE WITH EACH OTHER PUBLIC HEALTH OFFICIALS LIKE MYSELF DON'T ALWAYS COME OUT WITH COMPELLING AND EXCITING MESSAGE EGGS THAT A 25 TO 35-YEAR-OLD MAY FIND INTERESTING AND SOMETHING THEY WILL TAKE TO HEART BUT MILLENNIALS CAN SPEAK TO ONE ANOTHER ABOUT HOW IMPORTANT IT IS IN THIS MOMENT TO PROTECT ALL OF THE PEOPLE

NOW, YOU COULD BE 40 AND HAVE A SIGNIFICANT MEDICAL CONDITION AND BE AT SUBSTANTIAL RISK YOU COULD BE 30 AND HAVING COME THROUGH HODGKIN'S DISEASE OR NON-HODGKIN'S LYMPHOMA AND BE OF SIGNIFICANT RISK BUT THERE'S MORE MILLENNIALS NOW THAN ANY OTHER COHORT, AND THEY CAN HELP US AT THIS MOMENT >> MR PRESIDENT — >> MR

PRESIDENT — >> THANK YOU VERY MUCH THANK YOU VERY MUCH, MR PRESIDENT YOU ALREADY TALKED MR

PRESIDENT, THE OTHER DAY YOU SAID THAT YOU WERE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR THE TESTING SHORTFALL VERY SIMPLE QUESTION DOES THE BUCK STOP WITH YOU AND ON A SCALE OF ONE TO TEN, HOW WOULD YOU RATE YOUR RESPONSE TO THIS CRISIS? >> I'D RATE IT A TEN I THINK WE'VE DONE A GREAT JOB AND IT STARTED WITH THE FACT THAT WE KEPT A VERY HIGHLY INFECTED COUNTRY, DESPITE ALL OF THE — EVEN THE PROFESSIONALS, SAYING NO, IT'S TOO EARLY TO DO THAT, WE WERE VERY, VERY EARLY WITH RESPECT TO CHINA AND WE WOULD HAVE A WHOLE DIFFERENT SITUATION IN THIS COUNTRY IF WE DIDN'T DO THAT

I WOULD RATE IT — I WOULD RATE OURSELVES AND THE PROFESSIONALS, I THINK THE PROFESSIONALS HAVE DONE A FANTASTIC JOB AS FAR AS THE TESTING, I THINK THE TESTING THAT WE'VE DONE, WE'VE TAKEN OVER AN OBSOLETE SYSTEM OR PUT IT IN A DIFFERENT WAY, A SYSTEM THAT WASN'T MEANT TO DO ANYTHING LIKE THIS, WE TOOK IT OVER AND WE'RE DOING SOMETHING THAT'S NEVER BEEN DONE IN THIS COUNTRY AND I THINK THAT WE ARE DOING VERY WELL WE TOOK THE SYSTEM, WE WORKED WITH THE SYSTEM WE HAD AND WE BROKE DOWN THE SYSTEM PURPOSELY WE BROKE IT DOWN IN ORDER TO DO WHAT WE'RE DOING NOW AND WITHIN A SHORT PERIOD OF TIME, AND EVEN NOW, WE'RE TESTING TREMENDOUS NUMBERS OF PEOPLE

AND ULTIMATELY, YOU'RE SAYING IT WILL BE UP TO — HOW MANY PEOPLE WILL WE BE ABLE TO TEST? >> WE CERTAINLY EXPECT WITH THE HIGH THROUGHPUT TESTING THAT THAT IS NO LONGER A BARRIER THE BARRIER IS ACTUALLY DOING A TEST ON A PERSON AND I'M SURE AS THE PRESIDENT WOULD INFORM YOU, IN ORDER PROV NEEDS TO DRESS IN FULL PERSONAL PROTECTIVE EQUIPMENT THE TEST IS PUT INTO THE BACK OF THE NOSE ALL THE WAY TO THE BACK OF THE THROAT, IT IS CALLED A NAYSIO FARNGIAL SWAB THE NEXT PERSON WHO HAS TO BE TESTED, THE HEALTH CARE WORKER HAS TO PUT ON ALL NEW PROTECTIVE EQUIPMENT

THAT'S WHAT WE ARE TRYING TO FIX RIGHT NOW IS TO ENABLE HIGH THROUGH PUT OF THIS SWABBING WE ARE DOING TECHNOLOGICAL THINGS, TOO, THAT MIGHT BE BREAK THROUGHS TO MAKE IT MUCH FASTER WE CERTAINLY EXPECT FROM FROM THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE PER DAY, WE WILL BE AT TEN WAS THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE PER DAY THIS WEEK >> DOES THE BUCK STOP WITH YOU, MR

PRESIDENT? >> NORMALLY, I THINK WHEN YOU HEAR THE, THIS HAS NEVER BEEN DONE BEFORE IN THIS COUNTRY WHEN YOU LOOK AT BACK, LOOK AT SOME THINGS THAT TOOK PLACE IN '09 OR '11 OR WHATEVER IT MAY HAVE BEEN NOBODY HAS EVER DONE ANYTHING LIKE WHAT WE ARE DOING I WILL ALSO SAY — ADMIRAL I THINK WE CAN SAY THAT WE ARE ALSO BETTING THIS READY FOR FOR THE FUTURE SO THAT WHEN WE HAVE A FUTURE PROBLEM — IF AND WHEN, AND HOPEFULLY WE DON'T HAVE ANYTHING LIKE THIS BUT IF THERE IS WE ARE GOING TO BE STARTING OFF FROM A MUCH HIGHER PLATEAU WE WERE AT A VERY, VERY LOW BASE

WE HAD A SYSTEM THAT WAS NOT MEANT FOR THIS IT WAS A SMALLER SYSTEM IT WAS MEANT FOR A MUCH DIFFERENT PURPOSE AND FOR THAT PURPOSE, IT WAS FINE BUT NOT FOR THIS RPS PURPOSE

WE BROKE DOWN THE SYSTEM AND NOW WE HAVE SOMETHING THAT'S GOING TO BE AND IS VERY SPECIAL AND IS READY FOR FUTURE PROBLEMS I THINK WE CAN SAY THAT VERY STRONGLY YEAH GO AHEAD, PLEASE >> THANK YOU, MR

PRESIDENT >> YES >> HOW CLOSE ARE YOU TO SHUTTING DOWN AMERICA'S NORTHERN BORDER WITH CANADA? AND COULD YOU ALSO SPEAK TO THE FACT ABOUT THE ELECTIONS THAT ARE SUPPOSED TO BE TAKING PLACE TOMORROW? IS IT AT YOUR ADVICE THAT THOSE STATES POSTPONED THOSE ELECTIONS? >> I WOULD LEAVE THAT UP TO THE STATES IT IS A BIG THING POSTPONING AN ELECTION I THINK TO ME THAT REALLY GOES TO THE HEART OF WHAT WE ARE ALL ABOUT

I THINK POSTPONING AN ELECTION IS A VERY TOUGH THING THEY HAVE BEEN IN TOUCH WITH US THEY ARE DOING IT VERY CAREFULLY THEY ARE SPREADING PEOPLE OUT AT GREAT DISTANCES, AS YOU CAN SEE I THINK THEY WILL DO IT VERY SAFELY

HOPE THEY DO IT VERY SAFELY BUT I THINK POSTPONING ELECTION IS NOT A VERY GOOD THING THEY HAVE LOTS OF ROOM IN A LOT OF ELECTORAL PLACES AND I THINK THAT THEY WILL DO IT VERY WELL BUT I THINK POSTPONING IS UNNECESSARY

>> AND ON THE BORDER, SIR? HOW CLOSE ARE YOU TO SHUTTING? >> WE THINK ABOUT IT IF WE DON'T HAVE TO DO IT, THAT'S GOOD WE HAVE STRONG EMERGENCY POWERS WHEN IT COMES TO SOMETHING LIKE THIS, BOTH ON THE SOUTHERN AND THE NORTHERN BORDERS WE WERE TALKING ABOUT DIFFERENT THING BUT WE WILL SEE RIGHT NOW WE HAVE NOT DECIDED TO DO THAT >> CAN WE GET DR

FAUCI TO TALK ABOUT THE VACCINE FILE TODAY AND THE TIMETABLE FOR VACCINE IS IT POSSIBLE TO ACCELERATE IT? IS IT STILL 12 TO 18 MONTHS? >> THE VACCINE CANDIDATE THAT WAS GIVEN THE FIRST INJECTIONS TO THE FIRST PERSON TOOK PLACE TODAY YOU MIGHT RECALL WHEN I FIRST STARTED I SAID IT WOULD BE TWO TO THREE MONTHS AND IF WE DID THAT THAT WOULD BE THE FASTEST WE HAVE EVER GONE FROM OBTAINING THE SEQUENCE TO BE ABLE TO DO A PHASE ONE TRIAL IT HAS BEEN 65 DAYS, WHICH I BELIEVE IS THE RECORD WHAT IT IS, IT IS A TRIAL OF 45 NORMAL INDIVIDUALS BETWEEN THE AGES OF 18 AND 55

THE TRIAL IS TAKING PLACE IN SEATTLE THERE WILL BE TWO INJECTIONS ONE AT ZERO DAY, FIRST ONE, AND THEN 28 28 DAYS THERE WILL BE THREE SEPARATE DOSES, 25 MILL GAMS, 100 MILLIGRAMS, AND 250 MILLIGRAMS AND THE INDIVIDUALS WILL BE FOLLOWED FOR ONE YEAR BOTH FOR SAFETY AND WHETHER IT PRODUCES THE KIND OF RESPONSE THAT WE PREDICT WILL BE PROTECTIVE THAT IS THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT I HAVE BEEN TELLING THE GROUP OVER AND OVER AGAIN IT HAPPENED

THE FIRST INJECTION WAS TODAY >> THE DOW IS DOWN 3,000, ALMOST 13% >> IS PREGNANCY AN UNDERLYING CONDITION? >> DR FAUCI IS THERED BY THENCE FOR SOMEONE WHO FELT SICK BUT NO LONGER DOES? HOW LONG WOULD YOU STAY HOME >> IF YOU ARE POSITIVE FOR THE INFECTION, IF YOU HAVE CORONAVIRUS, IT IS LESS HOW YOU FEEL THAN WHETHER OR NOT YOU ARE STILL SHEDDING VIRUS

SO THE GENERAL ISSUE ABOUT LETTING PEOPLE OUT OF A FACILITY WHO — FOR EXAMPLE, A HOSPITAL OR WHATEVER, WHO HAVE BEEN INFECTED — YOU NEED TWO NEGATIVE CULTURES, THE SAME WAY THAT WAS JUST DESCRIBED, 24 HOURS APART >> [ INAUDIBLE QUESTION ] >> THE MARKET WILL TAKE CARE OF ITSELF THE MARKET WILL BE VERY STRONG AS SOON AS WE GET RID OF THE VIRUS YES? >> CLARIFY ABOUT PREGNANT WOMEN? IS THAT AN UNDERLYING — THE UK SAID TODAY PREGNANCY WAS ONE OF THOSE UNDERLYING CONDITIONS

DO WE AGREE WITH THAT? >> THERE IS VERY LITTLE DATA ON PREGNANT WOMEN ABOUT A WEEK AGO REPORTS THAT CAME IN FROM CHINA FROM THE CHINESE CDC OF THE NINE WOMEN WHO WERE DOCUMENTED TO BE PREGNANT AND HAVE CORONAVIRUS IN THEIR LAST TRISEMESTER DELIVERED HEALTHY CHILDREN AND THEY THEMSELVES WERE HEALTHY AND RECOVERED THAT IS OUR TOTAL SAMPLE SIZE WE WILL BE GETTING MORE DATA FROM COUNTRIES WHILE COUNTRIES ARE IN THE MIDST OF THIS CRISIS, LIKE ITALY, I TRY NOT TO BOTHER THEM FREQUENTLY TO GET US THEIR DATA

WE TRY TO GETTET JUST WEEKLY FROM THE COUNTRIES THAT ARE IN THE MIDST OF RESPONDING TO THE EPIDEMIC SO THAT THEIR FOCUS IS ON THEIR INDIVIDUALS IN THEIR COUNTRIES >> MR PRESIDENT — ANY COMMENT ON WHAT PEOPLE LIKE DEVIN NUNES, THE GOVERNOR OF OKLAHOMA HAS BEEN SAYING TO ENCOURAGE PEOPLE TO GO OUT TO RESTAURANTS WHICH GOES DIRECTLY AGAINST WHAT THE ADVICE IN YOUR GUIDELINES SAYS? >> I HAVEN'T HEARD THAT I HAVEN'T HEARD IT FROM DEVIN OR ANYONE ELSE

>> SHOULD THEY STOP SAYING THAT? >> I HAVEN'T HEARD EXACTLY WHAT HE SAID >> HE SAID GO TO RESTAURANTS WITH THEIR FAMILIES >> WE DON'T HAVE AN ORDER, I DON'T THINK YOU SHOULD BE GOING OUT, ESPECIALLY IN CERTAIN AREAS I DON'T THINK OKLAHOMA HAS A PROBLEM >> DEVIN NUNES

>> I HADN'T HEARD THAT IT IS ADVERSE TO WHAT THE PROFESSIONALS ARE SAYING >> WHAT YOU ARE SAYING IN YOUR GUIDELINES >> IT IS ADVERSE I WILL TAKE A LOOK AT IT

>> I DON'T KNOW WHO WOULD BE BEST TO ANSWER THIS QUESTION, MAYBE THE SECRETARY OR DR FAUCI SCHOOL DISTRICTS ACROSS THE COUNTRY ARE CLOSING DOWN YET FOR THE MOST PART DAY-CARE CENTERS REMAIN OPEN AND CONSIDERING THAT CHILDREN CAN SOMETIMES BE ASYMPTOMATIC CONTRARYIERS AND GO HOME TO OLDER INDIVIDUALS ARE THERE ANY RECOMMENDATIONS ABOUT DAY-CARE CENTERS? >> I PROFESSOR THAT A MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL ANSWER THAT >> THAT'S A GOOD QUESTION

IN THE ORIGINAL GUIDELINES AS THEY WERE PRESENTED IT WAS SCHOOLS, NOT DAY CARE I THINK IT IS VERY IMPORTANT WE SHOULD PROBABLY IF WE HAVE NOT DISCUSSED THAT GO BACK AND DISCUSS THAT IN SOME DETAIL WHETHER OR NOT THAT'S QUIF TLOENT SCHOOL GOOD QUESTION >> THE QUESTION ABOUT THE SORT OF UNDERLYING PUBLIC HEALTH STRATEGY BEHIND SOME OF THE GUIDELINES, TELLING PEOPLE TO AVOID RESTAURANTS AND BARS IS A DIFFERENT THING THAN SAYING THAT THEY SHOULD SHUT DOWN OVER THE NEXT 15 DAYS WHY DIDN'T WE TAKE THAT ADDITIONAL STEP, OFFER THAT ADDITIONAL GUIDANCE? >> I THINK WE HAVE TO SAY THAT THE DATA THAT HAS BEEN COMING OUT, I AM SURE YOU ARE ALL UP TO DATE ON HOW LONG THE VIRUS LIVES ON HARD SURFACES

THAT HAS BEEN OUR CONCERN OVER THE LAST TWO WEEKS >> I'M SORRY GO AHEAD I JUST WANTED TO READ — THERE IS AN ANSWER TO THIS ONE >> OH, YEAH

I — >> GO AHEAD >> HE WAS MY MENTOR I AM GOING TO HAVE TO LET HIM SPEAK >> THE SMALL PRINT HERE REALLY SMALL PRINT N

STATES WITH EVIDENCE OF COMMUNITY TRANSMISSION, BARS, RESTAURANTS, FOOD COURTS, GYMS, AND OTHER INDOOR AND OUTDOOR VENUES WHERE GROUPS OF PEOPLE CONGREGATION SHOULD BE CLOSED >> MR PRESIDENT, ARE YOU TELLING — ARE YOU TELLING GOVERNORS IN THOSE STATES THEN TO CLOSE ALL OF THEIR RESTAURANTS AND THEIR BARS? >> WE HAVEN'T SAID THAT YET BUT WE ARE RECOMMENDING — WE ARE RECOMMENDING THINGS WE HAVEN'T GONE TO THAT STEP YET THAT COULD HAPPEN BUT WE HAVEN'T GONE THERE YEET

>> ON THE ELECTION YOU ARE SAYING — IF YOU HAVE GOT THE TEN PERSON MAXIMUM GUIDELINES CAN YOU HAVE RALLIES, CAN YOU DID — >> HOPEFULLY IT WILL PASS THROUGH AND HOPEFULLY EVERYBODY WILL BE GOING TO RESTAURANTS AND FLYING AND BEING ON CRUISE SHIPS AND ALL THE DIFFERENT THINGS THAT WE DO AND IT WILL VERY, VERY HOPEFULLY BE IN A VERY FAIRLY QUICK PERIOD OF TIME WE HAVE TAKEN A TOUGH STANCE WE MAY MAKE CERTAIN OTHER DECISIONS WE MAY ENHANCE THOSE DECISIONS

WE ARE GOING TO FIND OUT AS PER THE QUESTION THAT YOU WERE ASKING, SOME OF THOSE DECISIONS MAYBE HAD — HOW ABOUT ONE MORE >> ON THE CYBER ATTACK ON HHS >> YEAH >> IS THERE ANY REASON TO BELIEVE THEY WERE TRYING TO HACK INTO THE SYSTEM AND GATHER INFORMATION FROM THE SYSTEM? ALSO, IS THERE ANY REASON, WERE THEY TRYING TO HACK TO GET INFORMATION? DO YOU HAVE ANY REASON TO THINK IT COULD HAVE BEEN IRAN? RUSSIA? DO YOU HAVE REASON TO BELIEVE IT WAS A FOREIGN ACTOR

>> IN THE PAST 24 HORSE WE SAW A GREAT DEAL OF ENHANCES ACTIVITY IN ELSE ARE TO THE HHA COMMUTER SYSTEMS AND WEBSITE FORTUNATELY WE HAVE EXTREMELY STRONG BARRIERS WE HAD NO PENETRATION INTO OUR NETWORKS, NO DEGRADATION OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE I NO TO LIMITATION FOR THE PEOPLE WHO TELEWORK WE HAVE TAKEN STRONG ACTS

THE SOURCE OF THIS ACTIVITY REMAINS UNDER INVESTIGATE I DON'T WANT TO SPECULATE BUT THERE WAS NO DATA BREACH OR NO EFFECT ON OURABLE TO PERFORM OUR MISSION HERE >> WHAT ABOUT THE STIMULUS PACKAGE, SIR, COULD YOU SPEAK TO THAT >> ONE THING MIKE JUST SAID, IT IS IMPORTANT TO GET THIS IS FOR THE NEXT — WHAT WE ARE TALK APPROXIMATING — MUCH OF WHAT WE ARE TALKING ABOUT IS FOR THE NEXT 15 DAYS >> MR

VICE PRESIDENT, YOU HAVE BEEN TESTED? >> I HAVE NOT BEEN TESTED YET THE WHITE HOUSE PHYSICIAN SAID I HAVE NOT BEEN EXPOSED TO ANYONE THE ANY PERIOD OF TIME THAT HAD THE CORONAVIRUS AND MY WIFE AND I HAVE NO SYMPTOMS OF THE WOULD YOU BETTER CHECKING OUR TEMPERATURE EGG RARLY, AND EVERY DAY AND WE WILL CONTINUE TO FOLLOW GUIDANCE WHICH I THINK MAY BE A GOOD PLACE TO LAND AT THE END OF THE DAY THAT IS, AS WE EXPAND TESTING RAPIDLY AROUND THE COUNTRY, THROUGH THE NEW PUBLIC/PRIVATE PARTNERSHIP THAT THE PRESIDENT FACILITY AT A TIMED, WE WANT THE TEST TO BE AVAILABLE FOR PEOPLE WHO HAVE SYMPTOMS, PEOPLE WHO HAVE SYMPTOMS AND ARE IN VULNERABLE POPULATIONS AND OUR HEALTH CARE WORKERS TO MAKE SURE THEY CAN HAVE THE PEACE OF MINE THAT THEY ARE DOING THEIR JOBS AND THEY ARE PROPERLY PROTECTED SO OUR BEST COUNSEL, THE COUNSEL OF THE EXPERTS, IS IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION, CALL YOUR DOCTOR, CALL YOUR HEALTH CARE PROVIDER, ASK WHETHER OR NOT YOU SHOULD BE TESTED THAT'S WHAT MY FAMILY DOING AS WELL

LET ME EMPHASIZE ONE MORE POINT, IF I CAN THE PRESIDENT ASKED THE TASK FORCE TO CONTINUOUSLY REVIEW THE DATA AND THE INFORMATION THAT WE HAVE NOT ONLY IN THIS COUNTRY, BUT FROM AROUND THE WORLD TO GIVE THE BEST GUIDANCE TO STATE LEADERSHIP AND TO LOCAL HEALTH CARE LEADERSHIP AND ALL OF THE AMERICAN PEOPLE ABOUT HOW THE KEEP THEMSELVES, THEIR FAMILY, AND THEIR COMMUNITY SAFE THIS GUIDANCE, FOR THE NEXT 15 DAYS, IS WHAT OUR EXPERTS SAY IS THE BEST OPPORTUNITY WE HAVE TO LOWER THE INFECTION RATE OVER THE ENTIRE COURSE OF THE CORONAVIRUS JUST AS THE PRESIDENT DID BY SUSPENDING TRAVEL FROM CHINA, JUST AS HE DID WITH TRAVEL ADVISORIES AND SCREENING FROM ITALY AND SOUTH KOREA, JUST AS WE'VE DONE WITH EUROPE AND AT MIDNIGHT TONIGHT WITH THE UK AND IRELAND, WE'LL CONTINUE TO TAKE VERY DECISIVE STEPS TO LOWER THE SPREAD OF THE CORONAVIRUS BUT WE WANT EVERY AMERICAN TO KNOW, AND WE WOULD ASK ALL OF YOU IN THE MEDIA TO SPREAD THE WORD TO THE AMERICAN PEOPLE THAT THIS IS ADVICE ON PARAGRAPH OF THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES TO EVERY AMERICAN

WHAT YOU CAN DO OVER THE NEXT 15 DAYS TO PREVENT THE SPREAD OF THE CORONAVIRUS WE ARE CALLING ON EVERY AMERICAN TO DO YOUR PART BECAUSE TOGETHER WE WILL GET THROUGH THIS AND WE WILL FIND OUR WAY FORWARD >> MR PRESIDENT — >> ONE MORE, STEVE, DID GO

>> G7 — WHAT WAS THE UPSHOT ARE YOU STILL GOING TO BE ABLE TO MEET AT CAMP DAVID >> IT LOOKS LIKE >> ARE YOU CONFIDENT IN THEIR RESPONSES AS YOU ARE IN YOUR OWN? >> I AM VERY CONFIDENT THEY ARE IN A POSITION — SOME OF THEM ARE IN A ROUGH POSITION, IF YOU LOOK AT A COUPLE OF THEM

SOME ARE HEADING TOWARD PRETTY ROUGH TERRITORY WE HAD A VERY GOOD CONFERENCE IT WAS A TELECONFERENCE EVERYBODY WAS ON THE PHONE EVERY LEADER

AND ALMOST 100% WAS DEVOTED TO THE SUB THAT WE ARE TALKING ABOUT TODAY THEY ARE WORKING VERY HARD YOU KNOW, THEY ARE VERY CONCERNED, OBVIOUSLY, THEY ARE WORKING VERY HARD I WOULD SAY JUST ABOUT ALL OF IT WAS DEVOTED TO WHAT WE ARE TALKING ABOUT >> HOLDING THE SUMMIT AT CAMP DAVID? >> I THINK SO

WE HAVEN'T DISCUSSED THAT STILL A WAYS OUT BUT IT WAS A GRAD DISCUSSION THERE IS A GREAT CAMARADERIE, THERE WAS A GREAT TOGETHERNESS I THINK I CAN SAY THAT VERY, VERY STRONGLY

THANK YOU ALL VERY MUCH THANK YOU, THANK YOU VERY MUCH >> PRESIDENT TRUMP HOLDING A LENGTHY NEWS CONFERENCE WITH AN UPDATE ON WHERE WE ARE IN THE FIGHT AGAINST THE CORONAVIRUS THE GOVERNMENT ESSENTIALLY PUBLISHING A SET OF NEW GUIDELINES, MANY OF THEM HAVE ALREADY BEEN SURPASSED ON THE STATE AND LOCAL LEVEL PERHAPS THE ONLY MAJOR DIFFERENCE NOW A SUGGESTION THAT PEOPLE NOT GATHER IN GROUPS THARGEER THAN TEN

THAT'S CERTAINLY CONSISTENT AGAIN WITH OTHER THING WE HAVE SEEN HAPPENING AROUND THE COUNTRY AS THE PRESIDENT WAS TALKING THE MARKET WAS IN A FREE FALL THE DOW LOSING — DOWN ALMOST 3,000 POINTS I MISSED THE PERCENTAGE, ABOUT A 13% LOSS THERE THE S&P DOWN 324

NASDAQ DOWN 970 LET'S BRING IN OUR SENIOR BUSINESS CORRESPONDENT, STEPHANIE RUHL, ALMOST THE MOMENT THE PRESIDENT BEGAN SPEAKING WE BEGAN WATCHING WHAT WAS ALREADY A BAD DAY BECOME WORSE >> WE DID, MAKING IT THE SINGLE LARGEST POINT DROP IN HISTORY WHAT WE SAW FROM THE PRESIDENT THIS AFTERNOON WAS A REALLY SOBERING STORY THE WARNINGS HE GAVE — THINK ABOUT THE IMPACT THEY ARE GOING TO HAVE ON THE ECONOMY, BARS, RESTAURANTS, FOOD COURTS, NO GATHERING OVER TEN PEOPLE

NO FITNESS CENTERS THINK ABOUT WHAT THIS IS GOING TO DO FOR EVERYDAY AMERICANS AND THE WAY WE LIVE OUR LIVELESS IT IS LIKE WE ARE PRESSING PAUSE ON THE WHICH HE BUT FROM THE MARKET'S PERSPECTIVE, THE BILLS ARE STILL COMING IN THE PRESIDENT SAID HE WOULD FULLY BAKE THE AIRLINE INDUSTRY, WHICH WE KNOW IS ALREADY LOOKING FOR A BAILOUT

AND YOU ARE GOING THE EOTHER INDUSTRIES LIKE CRUISE LINES, LIKE HOTEL INDUSTRIES WHAT THE PRESIDENT SAID RIGHT NOW, WHAT WE HAVE TO DO FOR THE NEXT 15 DAYS, THIS IS THE MOST FORTHRIGHT WE HAVE SEEN HIM AS FAR AS LET'S TRULY TACKLE THIS THING LET'S SLOW THINGS DOWN AND FROM THE MARKET'S PERSPECTIVE,ER PEOPLE CERTAINLY SOUND SCARED >> STEPHANIE THANK YOU

GEOFF BENNETT WAS IN THE WHITE HOUSE BRIEFING WE NOTED YOU WERE NOT SEATED NEXT TO EACH OTHER A GOOD SIGN OF THE SOCIAL DISTANCING TAKING PLACE I WANT TO ASK YOU ABOUT THE CONTINUED MIXED MESSAGES THE PRESIDENT CAME OUT SAYING PEOPLE ARE SAYING JULY OR AUGUST THIS MAY WASH THROUGH

THERE ANY EVIDENCE TO SUPPORT THAT? >> IN A WORD, LESTER, NO BUT TO STEPH'S POINT ABOUT PRESIDENT TRUMP SOUNDING MORE FORTHRIGHT THAN HE HAS IN THE PAST REMEMBER IT WAS A COUPLE OF WEEKS AGO LAST WEEK IN FACT WHEN HE WAS ON CAPITOL HILL HE TOLD THE AMERICAN PUBLIC TO STAY CALM, IT WILL JUST GO AWAY TODAY AT LEAST HE ACKNOWLEDGED THAT THIS OUTBREAK COULD BE WITH US FOR SOME MONTHS HE ACKNOWLEDGED THAT THE ECONOMY COULD DIP INTO RECESSION

HE ACKNOWLEDGED WHEN ASKED THAT HE DOES NOT HAVE IT UNDER CONTROL EVEN THOUGH WHEN ASKED BY A REPORTER TO GRADE HIS RESPONSE HE GAVE HIMSELF A TEN ON A SCALE OF ONE TO TEN WHICH TRACKS WHO WE HAVE COME TO KNOW ABOUT PRESIDENT TRUMP THREE AND A HALF YEARS INTO HIS FIRST TERM WHAT THE WHITE HOUSE PUT OUT TODAY, NATIONWIDE GUIDELINES ARE WHAT STATE OFFICIALS HAVE BEEN CLAMORING FOR FOR WEEKS WE ARE 50 PLUS DAYS INTO THE OUTBREAK YOU HEARD GOVERNOR CUOMO SAY THIS IS A NATIONWIDE PANDEMIC AND THEREFORE WE NEED NATIONWIDE GUIDELINES THESE ARE THE GID LINES AND THEY ARE GOOD FOR 15 DAYS

AND THEY WILL REASSESS AT THE END OF THOSE 15 DAYS TO SEE WHAT NEEDS TO BE DONE FROM THERE >> IN THE SAN FRANCISCO BAY AREA, SEVEN COUNTIES GETTING TOGETHER AND ANNOUNCING BASICALLY A SHELTER IN PLACE ORDER FOR THE NEXT SEVERAL WEEKS LET'S GO NOW TO MEDICAL CORRESPONDENT DR JOHN TORRES JOHN, ONE OF THE THINGS THAT STRUCK ME, I THINK IT WAS DR

BIRX WHO SAID THAT MILLENNIALS ARE THE CORE GROUP WHO WILL STOP THIS VIRUS OUTBREAK IS THAT SOMETHING YOU AGREE, SOMETHING YOU HAVE BEEN SEEING AS WELL? >> I THINK TO A CERTAIN EXTENT I THINK SHE WAS SAYING ESSENTIALLY THEY CAN DO THE SOCIAL MESSAGING AND GET OUT THE WORD TO EVERYONE ELSE AND PROTECT THE OLDEST ADULTS SO THEY HAVE A LOT OF WORK TO DO TO GET THAT UNDER CONTROL THEY ALSO TEND TO BE THE ONES WE SAW EARLIER TODAY IN DIFFERENT VENUES LIKE DOWN IN NEW ORLEANS AND THEY WEREN'T LISTENING TO THE PARAMETERS AS FAR AS 50 PEOPLE NOT IN THE SAME AREA

NOW THAT IT IS DOWN TO TEN PEOPLE I THINK SHE IS SAYING THOSE ARE THE PEOPLE THAT NEED TO PAY ATTENTION TO THIS AND DO WHAT THEY ARE SAYING NEEDS TO GO ON HERE AND THAT CAN PROTECT EVERYBODY >> THE FIGHT REALLY DEPENDS ON ALL OF US TO DO OUR PART THANK YOU THE PANDEMIC CHANGED THINGS IN THIS COUNTRY HOW LONG? NO ONE CAN SAY

TOM COSTELLO HAS BEEN TRACKING THE OUTBREAK AND REPORTING FROM BETHESDA TOM? >> A COUPLE OF NOTES HERE IN MARYLAND THEY ARE NOW SURGING A REQUEST, THE GOVERNOR ASKING TO COME UP WITH 6,000 EXTRA HOSPITAL — MAKE THAT — YEAH, 6,000 EXTRA HOSPITAL BEDS BECAUSE THEY SEE A SURGE IN PATIENTS COMING AND THEY WANT TO PREPARE ALL THE BARS AND RESTAURANTS IN THIS STATE HAVE BEEN CLOSED DOWN AS THEY HAVE IN MANY AREAS AROUND THE COUNTRY THE SAN FRANCISCO NEWS IS STUNNING ONE NOTE HERE IS WHAT IS HAPPENING IN THE AIRLINE INDUSTRY

THE AIRLINES ARE NOW COME TO THE WHITE HOUSE AND SAYING THEY NEED $50 BILLION TO ESSENTIALLY SHORE THEM UP, THE MAKE SURE THEY CAN GET THROUGH THIS VERY TROUBLED TIME UNITED AIRLINES IS NOW ESSENTIALLY PUTTING HALF OF THEIR FLIGHTS THAT THEY HAVE PLANNED, 50% OF THEIR SCHEDULE IS CANCELED THEY ARE GROUNDING PLANES THEY ARE ASKING THEIR UNIONS TO HELP THEM COME UP WITH WAYS TO CUT THE PAY ROLL THE CEO TAKING A 100% PAY CUT

UNITED IS NOT ALONE DELTA, AMERICAN AND THE OTHER AIRLINES ALL IN THE SAME BOAT THE AIRLINE INDUSTRY SAYS THERE IS NO DOUBT ABOUT THIS, THE AIRLINE INDUSTRY RIGHT NOW IS FIGHTING FOR ITS SURVIVE THE ONLY WAY THEY ARE GOING TO SURVIVE IS IF THE GOVERNMENT COMES IN WITH A MASSIVE BAILOUT THIS IS YET ANOTHER INDICATION OF HOW THIS HAS A RIPPLING EFFECT FROM MOM AND POP SHOPS HERE ON MAIN STREET TO HUGE COMPANIES THAT REALLY ARE AT THE LINCHPINS OF ECONOMY

THIS IS REALLY JUST A STAGGERING BLOW TO THE ECONOMY >> THINGS ARE MOVING SO RAPIDLY, TOM, THANK VERY MUCH WE WILL CONTINUE TO FOLLOW ALL OF THIS DEVELOPMENT ARE HAPPENING ALMOST ON A MINUTE BY MINUTE BASIS WE WILL HAVE A COMPLETE WRAP UP TONIGHT ON

Source: Youtube

This div height required for enabling the sticky sidebar