Hit enter after type your search item
Wzy Word

HERE ARE THE WORLD'S NEWS

Full Buttigieg: 'Breaking Barriers' Not Just About 'Electability'| Meet The Press | NBC News

/
/
/
667 Views
img

THE BLACK COMMUNITY, INCLUDING SPECIFICALLY LATINOS, IF YOU SPECIFICALLY LATINOS, IF YOU CAN’T DO THAT, THEN WE CAN’T CAN’T DO THAT, THEN WE CAN’T BEAT DONALD TRUMP BEAT DONALD TRUMP

>> AND JOINING ME NOW IS THE >> AND JOINING ME NOW IS THE FORMER MAYOR OF SOUTH BEND, FORMER MAYOR OF SOUTH BEND, INDIANA, DEMOCRATIC PRESIDENTIAL INDIANA, DEMOCRATIC PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATE PETE BUTTIGIEG CANDIDATE PETE BUTTIGIEG WELCOME BACK TO "MEET THE WELCOME BACK TO "MEET THE PRESS" PRESS" >> GOOD TO BE WITH YOU

>> GOOD TO BE WITH YOU >> TWO WEEKS IN A ROW >> TWO WEEKS IN A ROW LAST WEEK I THINK YOU SURPRISED LAST WEEK I THINK YOU SURPRISED A LOT OF PEOPLE BY A VIRTUAL TIE A LOT OF PEOPLE BY A VIRTUAL TIE IN IOWA GIVEN THAT WE STILL IN IOWA GIVEN THAT WE STILL DON’T HAVE 100%, BUT EVERYBODY DON’T HAVE 100%, BUT EVERYBODY IS COMING AT YOU NOW IS COMING AT YOU NOW

LOOKING AT YOUR RECORD IN SOUTH LOOKING AT YOUR RECORD IN SOUTH BEND, CONCERNED THAT NO MATTER BEND, CONCERNED THAT NO MATTER WHAT THE HISTORY OF THE WHAT THE HISTORY OF THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY IS, THIS IS A DEMOCRATIC PARTY IS, THIS IS A DIFFERENT TIME DIFFERENT TIME DONALD TRUMP IS A DIFFERENT DONALD TRUMP IS A DIFFERENT CANDIDATE CANDIDATE AND THERE IS A LOT OF CONCERN AND THERE IS A LOT OF CONCERN THAT YOU WON’T BE ABLE TO BEAT THAT YOU WON’T BE ABLE TO BEAT HIM

HIM HOW DO YOU ALLEVIATE THIS HOW DO YOU ALLEVIATE THIS CONCERN? CONCERN? >> THE WAY TO BEAT DONALD TRUMP >> THE WAY TO BEAT DONALD TRUMP IS CERTAINLY NOT TO RELY ON THE IS CERTAINLY NOT TO RELY ON THE FAMILIAR PLAYBOOK FAMILIAR PLAYBOOK AND IT’S ALSO, IN MY VIEW, NOT AND IT’S ALSO, IN MY VIEW, NOT TO SAY THAT WE NEED EITHER A TO SAY THAT WE NEED EITHER A REVOLUTION OR YOU MUST BE FOR REVOLUTION OR YOU MUST BE FOR THE STATUS QUO THE STATUS QUO

THE REASON MY CAMPAIGN WAS SO THE REASON MY CAMPAIGN WAS SO EFFECTIVE, ESPECIALLY IN PLACES EFFECTIVE, ESPECIALLY IN PLACES THAT SUPPORTED BARACK OBAMA AND THAT SUPPORTED BARACK OBAMA AND THEN DONALD TRUMP IN THE THEN DONALD TRUMP IN THE CAUCUSES IS THAT WE ARE REACHING CAUCUSES IS THAT WE ARE REACHING OUT TO EVERYBODY, PUTTING OUT TO EVERYBODY, PUTTING TOGETHER A MAJORITY THAT IS TOGETHER A MAJORITY THAT IS PREPARED NOT ONLY TO STAND UP PREPARED NOT ONLY TO STAND UP FOR REPLACING THIS PRESIDENT, FOR REPLACING THIS PRESIDENT, UNIFIED IN WHAT WE’RE AGAINST, UNIFIED IN WHAT WE’RE AGAINST, BUT EVEN MORE SO UNIFIED ON WHAT BUT EVEN MORE SO UNIFIED ON WHAT WE’RE FOR, THE NEED FOR ECONOMIC WE’RE FOR, THE NEED FOR ECONOMIC EMPOWERMENT, THE NEED FOR HIGHER EMPOWERMENT, THE NEED FOR HIGHER WAGES, THE NEED FOR HEALTH CARE, WAGES, THE NEED FOR HEALTH CARE, DEALING WITH CLIMATE CHANGE AND DEALING WITH CLIMATE CHANGE AND GUN VIOLENCE GUN VIOLENCE THERE’S A POWERFUL AMERICAN THERE’S A POWERFUL AMERICAN MAJORITY RIGHT NOW READY NOT MAJORITY RIGHT NOW READY NOT ONLY TO WIN BUT TO GOVERN ONLY TO WIN BUT TO GOVERN AND MY CAMPAIGN IS ABOUT HOW TO AND MY CAMPAIGN IS ABOUT HOW TO GALVANIZE AND NOT POLARIZE THAT GALVANIZE AND NOT POLARIZE THAT MAJORITY

MAJORITY THAT’S HOW WE’RE GOING TO BEAT THAT’S HOW WE’RE GOING TO BEAT DONALD TRUMP DONALD TRUMP >> LET ME PLAY ANOTHER CLIP FROM >> LET ME PLAY ANOTHER CLIP FROM THIS DIGITAL ATTACK AD FROM THE THIS DIGITAL ATTACK AD FROM THE BIDEN CAMPAIGN BIDEN CAMPAIGN

HERE IT IS HERE IT IS >> JOE BIDEN HELPED LEAD THE >> JOE BIDEN HELPED LEAD THE PASSAGE OF THE AFFORDABLE CARE PASSAGE OF THE AFFORDABLE CARE ACT, WHICH GAVE HEALTH CARE TO ACT, WHICH GAVE HEALTH CARE TO 20 MILLION PEOPLE 20 MILLION PEOPLE AND WHEN PARK GOERS CALLED ON AND WHEN PARK GOERS CALLED ON PETE BUTTIGIEG, HE INSTALLED PETE BUTTIGIEG, HE INSTALLED DECORATIVE LIGHTS UNDER BRIDGES, DECORATIVE LIGHTS UNDER BRIDGES, GIVING CITIZENS OF SOUTH BEND GIVING CITIZENS OF SOUTH BEND COLOR FULLY ILLUMINATED RIVERS

COLOR FULLY ILLUMINATED RIVERS >> THERE’S A LOT OF SUBTEXT IN >> THERE’S A LOT OF SUBTEXT IN THIS AD IN VARIOUS WAYS THIS AD IN VARIOUS WAYS I THINK THE BIGGEST SIMPLY IS I THINK THE BIGGEST SIMPLY IS CAN YOUR SOUTH BEND RECORD CAN YOUR SOUTH BEND RECORD WITHSTAND THE SCRUTINY THAT’S WITHSTAND THE SCRUTINY THAT’S GOING TO COME? GOING TO COME? YOU HAVE PAINTED A VERY POSITIVE YOU HAVE PAINTED A VERY POSITIVE PICTURE, BUT WHEN YOU START PICTURE, BUT WHEN YOU START PEELING BACK SOME OF THE LAYERS PEELING BACK SOME OF THE LAYERS HERE, THERE IS SOME QUESTIONABLE HERE, THERE IS SOME QUESTIONABLE THINGS ON YOUR RECORD, THINGS ON YOUR RECORD, PARTICULARLY ON DEALINGS WITH PARTICULARLY ON DEALINGS WITH THE AFRICAN-AMERICAN COMMUNITY THE AFRICAN-AMERICAN COMMUNITY

>> WELL, OUR STORY AND THE STORY >> WELL, OUR STORY AND THE STORY OF OUR CITY IS THAT OF A CITY OF OUR CITY IS THAT OF A CITY FACING TREMENDOUS CHALLENGES FACING TREMENDOUS CHALLENGES WHEN YOU’RE A MAYOR, YOU DON’T WHEN YOU’RE A MAYOR, YOU DON’T JUST GET TO OPINE ON THINGS OR JUST GET TO OPINE ON THINGS OR VOTE ON THINGS OR CALL FOR VOTE ON THINGS OR CALL FOR THINGS TO CHANGE, YOU HAVE TO THINGS TO CHANGE, YOU HAVE TO ROLL YOUR SLEEVES UP AND DO ROLL YOUR SLEEVES UP AND DO THEM THEM I THINK THE QUESTION IS, WHY IS I THINK THE QUESTION IS, WHY IS IT THAT THE VOTERS WHO KNOW ME IT THAT THE VOTERS WHO KNOW ME BEST IN THE AFRICAN-AMERICAN BEST IN THE AFRICAN-AMERICAN COMMUNITY, THOSE IN SOUTH BEND COMMUNITY, THOSE IN SOUTH BEND ARE BACKING ME

ARE BACKING ME AND IT’S NOT — AND IT’S NOT — >> THE NOT EVERYBODY >> THE NOT EVERYBODY THERE’S SOME LEADING — A MEMBER THERE’S SOME LEADING — A MEMBER OF THE CITY COUNCIL IN SOUTH OF THE CITY COUNCIL IN SOUTH BEND WHO’S NOT JUST NOT BACKING BEND WHO’S NOT JUST NOT BACKING YOU BUT CALLING YOU INTO YOU BUT CALLING YOU INTO LEADERSHIP IN THE LEADERSHIP IN THE AFRICAN-AMERICAN COMMUNITY AFRICAN-AMERICAN COMMUNITY

>> MOST BLACK ELECTED OFFICIALS >> MOST BLACK ELECTED OFFICIALS INVOLVED IN THIS CAMPAIGN AT ALL INVOLVED IN THIS CAMPAIGN AT ALL ARE SUPPORTING ME AND IT’S NOT ARE SUPPORTING ME AND IT’S NOT BECAUSE IT’S BEEN PERFECT BECAUSE IT’S BEEN PERFECT THIS IS MY POINT THIS IS MY POINT WE ACTUALLY HAVE TO DEAL WITH WE ACTUALLY HAVE TO DEAL WITH THESE ISSUES ON THE GROUND FROM THESE ISSUES ON THE GROUND FROM RACIAL JUSTICE IN POLICING TO RACIAL JUSTICE IN POLICING TO ECONOMIC EMPOWERMENT

ECONOMIC EMPOWERMENT ACTUALLY ONE OF THE THINGS THE ACTUALLY ONE OF THE THINGS THE VP MADE FUN OF, AN VP MADE FUN OF, AN INFRASTRUCTURE INVESTMENT, WAS INFRASTRUCTURE INVESTMENT, WAS AN INVESTMENT IN MINORITY-OWNED AN INVESTMENT IN MINORITY-OWNED BUSINESSES ON CORRIDOR ON OUR BUSINESSES ON CORRIDOR ON OUR CITY’S WEST SIDE BECAUSE ON THE CITY’S WEST SIDE BECAUSE ON THE GROUND YOU HAVE TO DO THESE GROUND YOU HAVE TO DO THESE THINGS THINGS WE HAVE FACED THESE ISSUES, WE HAVE FACED THESE ISSUES, ROLLED UP OUR SLEEVES AND GOTTEN ROLLED UP OUR SLEEVES AND GOTTEN A REAL MEASURABLE TRACK RECORD A REAL MEASURABLE TRACK RECORD OF RESULTS OF RESULTS

CUTTING BLACK UNEMPLOYMENT, CUTTING BLACK UNEMPLOYMENT, CUTTING BLACK POVERTY CUTTING BLACK POVERTY OUR CITY WAS NATIONALLY OUR CITY WAS NATIONALLY RECOGNIZED FOR WORK ON ECONOMIC RECOGNIZED FOR WORK ON ECONOMIC EMPOWERMENT EMPOWERMENT EMPOWERMENT EMPOWERMENT IT’S NOT THAT WE SOLVED ALL IT’S NOT THAT WE SOLVED ALL THESE ISSUES IN SOUTH BEND, JUST THESE ISSUES IN SOUTH BEND, JUST LIKE NO ONE HAS SOLVED THESE LIKE NO ONE HAS SOLVED THESE ISSUES IN THE COUNTRY

ISSUES IN THE COUNTRY BUT I WILL STACK UP MY RECORD BUT I WILL STACK UP MY RECORD AGAINST ANYBODY ELSE WHO IS AGAINST ANYBODY ELSE WHO IS RUNNING FOR PRESIDENT, ALL OF RUNNING FOR PRESIDENT, ALL OF WHOM ARE IMPLICATED IN THE WHOM ARE IMPLICATED IN THE REALITIES THAT OUR COUNTRY REALITIES THAT OUR COUNTRY FACES, ESPECIALLY WHEN IT COMES FACES, ESPECIALLY WHEN IT COMES TO RACIAL AND ECONOMIC TO RACIAL AND ECONOMIC INEQUALITY INEQUALITY >> I GUESS THE QUESTION COMES >> I GUESS THE QUESTION COMES WITH WHEN DID YOU THESE WITH WHEN DID YOU THESE INEQUITIES IN THE INEQUITIES IN THE AFRICAN-AMERICAN COMMUNITY AFRICAN-AMERICAN COMMUNITY

I THINK ABOUT DURING YOUR TENURE I THINK ABOUT DURING YOUR TENURE WHEN FERGUSON HAPPENED WHEN FERGUSON HAPPENED MANY MAYORS SAID WE’VE GOT TO MANY MAYORS SAID WE’VE GOT TO LOOK AT OUR POLICING PRACTICES, LOOK AT OUR POLICING PRACTICES, MAKE SURE OUR POLICE DEPARTMENTS MAKE SURE OUR POLICE DEPARTMENTS LOOK LIKE THE COMMUNITY THAT LOOK LIKE THE COMMUNITY THAT THEY’RE POLICING THEY’RE POLICING THE EVIDENCE IN SOUTH BEND IS THE EVIDENCE IN SOUTH BEND IS QUESTIONABLE WHETHER IT LOOKS QUESTIONABLE WHETHER IT LOOKS LIKE — I THINK YOU MAKE THE LIKE — I THINK YOU MAKE THE ARGUMENT THAT YOU DID RESPOND

ARGUMENT THAT YOU DID RESPOND THE RESULTS DON’T LOOK LIKE THE RESULTS DON’T LOOK LIKE THAT THAT >> WHY DO YOU THINK THAT WE >> WHY DO YOU THINK THAT WE IMPLEMENTED IMPLICIT BIAS IMPLEMENTED IMPLICIT BIAS TRAINING? TRAINING? WHY DO YOU THINK THAT WE LED THE WHY DO YOU THINK THAT WE LED THE REGION IN TRANSPARENCY IN REGION IN TRANSPARENCY IN REPORTING CASES OF THE USE OF REPORTING CASES OF THE USE OF FORCE, SEEING WHAT HAD HAPPENED FORCE, SEEING WHAT HAD HAPPENED IN FERGUSON IN FERGUSON

WHY DO YOU THINK I APPOINTED AN WHY DO YOU THINK I APPOINTED AN AFRICAN-AMERICAN MAJORITY ON THE AFRICAN-AMERICAN MAJORITY ON THE CIVILIAN BOARD OVERSEEING OUR CIVILIAN BOARD OVERSEEING OUR POLICE DEPARTMENT? POLICE DEPARTMENT? AND YOU KNOW WHAT? AND YOU KNOW WHAT? IN TERMS OF RESULTS, USE OF IN TERMS OF RESULTS, USE OF FORCE INCIDENTS WENT DOWN FORCE INCIDENTS WENT DOWN IN MY SECOND TERM ARREST RATES IN MY SECOND TERM ARREST RATES FOR BLACK RESIDENTS ON DRUG FOR BLACK RESIDENTS ON DRUG CHARGES WERE LOWER THAN THEY CHARGES WERE LOWER THAN THEY WERE ACROSS THE STATE AND ACROSS WERE ACROSS THE STATE AND ACROSS THE COUNTRY THE COUNTRY IS THE RECORD MIXED? IS THE RECORD MIXED? OF COURSE IT IS BECAUSE THE OF COURSE IT IS BECAUSE THE REALITY IS SO TOUGH AND SO REALITY IS SO TOUGH AND SO COMPLEX

COMPLEX WE HAD A LOT OF ISSUES TO DEAL WE HAD A LOT OF ISSUES TO DEAL WITH IN MY EIGHTH YEAR JUST AS WITH IN MY EIGHTH YEAR JUST AS WE DID IN MY FIRST YEAR, BUT NO WE DID IN MY FIRST YEAR, BUT NO ONE CAN SAY WE WERE NOT ONE CAN SAY WE WERE NOT INTENTIONAL AND HAVE RESULTS TO INTENTIONAL AND HAVE RESULTS TO SHOW FOR IT SHOW FOR IT >> POINT TO A MISTAKE THAT YOU >> POINT TO A MISTAKE THAT YOU WISH YOU HAD HANDLED AN INCIDENT WISH YOU HAD HANDLED AN INCIDENT DIFFERENTLY, WHETHER IT’S THE DIFFERENTLY, WHETHER IT’S THE FIRING OF THE POLICE CHIEF, THE FIRING OF THE POLICE CHIEF, THE FIRE CHIEF? FIRE CHIEF? >> CERTAINLY IN MY FIRST FEW >> CERTAINLY IN MY FIRST FEW WEEKS WHEN I WAS PRESENTED WITH WEEKS WHEN I WAS PRESENTED WITH THE SITUATION THAT LED ME TO THE SITUATION THAT LED ME TO PART WAYS WITH THE POLICE CHIEF, PART WAYS WITH THE POLICE CHIEF, I WOULD HAVE HANDLED THAT I WOULD HAVE HANDLED THAT DIFFERENTLY DIFFERENTLY

IT WAS THE LAST TIME I’VE EVER IT WAS THE LAST TIME I’VE EVER FIRED SOMEBODY WHO REPORTED TO FIRED SOMEBODY WHO REPORTED TO ME WITHOUT SITTING DOWN FOR A ME WITHOUT SITTING DOWN FOR A FACE-TO-FACE CONVERSATION FACE-TO-FACE CONVERSATION THAT WAS A LESSON I LEARNED THE THAT WAS A LESSON I LEARNED THE HARD WAY HARD WAY >> YOU’RE RUNNING AGAINST SOME >> YOU’RE RUNNING AGAINST SOME FOLKS THAT HAVE MADE MISTAKES

FOLKS THAT HAVE MADE MISTAKES YOU’VE JUMPED ON THOSE MISTAKES YOU’VE JUMPED ON THOSE MISTAKES SHOULD THEIR MISTAKES BE SHOULD THEIR MISTAKES BE FORGIVEN THE WAY YOU’RE ASKING FORGIVEN THE WAY YOU’RE ASKING YOUR MISTAKES TO BE FORGIVEN? YOUR MISTAKES TO BE FORGIVEN? >> THIS IS HOW IT WORKS WHEN >> THIS IS HOW IT WORKS WHEN EACH OF US COMES FORWARD RUNNING EACH OF US COMES FORWARD RUNNING FOR PRESIDENT FOR PRESIDENT

LOOK AT WHAT WE’VE DONE, WHAT LOOK AT WHAT WE’VE DONE, WHAT WE’VE LEARNED AND WHAT WE’RE WE’VE LEARNED AND WHAT WE’RE PROPOSING FOR THE ROAD AHEAD PROPOSING FOR THE ROAD AHEAD NONE OF US PRESENTS OURSELVES NONE OF US PRESENTS OURSELVES MAKING THE CASE THAT WE’RE MAKING THE CASE THAT WE’RE PERFECT, WE PRESENT OURSELVES PERFECT, WE PRESENT OURSELVES WITH A VISION AND WITH AN IDEA WITH A VISION AND WITH AN IDEA ABOUT WHERE AMERICA NEEDS TO GO ABOUT WHERE AMERICA NEEDS TO GO I’M WORKING IN PARTICULAR TO I’M WORKING IN PARTICULAR TO EARN THE SUPPORT OF VOTERS OF EARN THE SUPPORT OF VOTERS OF COLOR, MANY OF WHOM, I THINK, COLOR, MANY OF WHOM, I THINK, DIDN’T THINK WE HAD MUCH OF A DIDN’T THINK WE HAD MUCH OF A CHANCE TO BEGIN WITH, TO MAKE CHANCE TO BEGIN WITH, TO MAKE SURE I’M COMMUNICATING WHO I AM SURE I’M COMMUNICATING WHO I AM AS WELL AS WHAT IT IS I PROPOSE AS WELL AS WHAT IT IS I PROPOSE TO DO

TO DO >> LET ME PUT IT IN THESE TERMS >> LET ME PUT IT IN THESE TERMS THESE FIRST FOUR PRIMARIES ARE THESE FIRST FOUR PRIMARIES ARE DESIGNED, I’VE ALWAYS BELIEVED DESIGNED, I’VE ALWAYS BELIEVED IN DIFFERENT WAYS, TO TEST IF IN DIFFERENT WAYS, TO TEST IF YOU HAVE ALL THE PIECES OF THIS YOU HAVE ALL THE PIECES OF THIS PUZZLE FOR THE DEMOCRATIC PUZZLE FOR THE DEMOCRATIC COALITION COALITION

IF YOU CAN’T FINISH IN THE TOP IF YOU CAN’T FINISH IN THE TOP TWO IN NEVADA AND SOUTH TWO IN NEVADA AND SOUTH CAROLINA, DOESN’T THAT SEND A CAROLINA, DOESN’T THAT SEND A MESSAGE THAT YOU CANNOT BE THE MESSAGE THAT YOU CANNOT BE THE CANDIDATE THAT BRINGS THIS PARTY CANDIDATE THAT BRINGS THIS PARTY TOGETHER? TOGETHER? >> I’LL LET PUNDITS SET THE GOAL >> I’LL LET PUNDITS SET THE GOAL POSTS, BUT IT’S CERTAINLY THE POSTS, BUT IT’S CERTAINLY THE CASE THAT WE NEED TO DO WELL IN CASE THAT WE NEED TO DO WELL IN DIFFERENT PARTS OF THE COUNTRY, DIFFERENT PARTS OF THE COUNTRY, IN DIFFERENT STATES IN DIFFERENT STATES EVERY STATE IS DIFFERENT EVERY STATE IS DIFFERENT NEW HAMPSHIRE IS VERY NEW HAMPSHIRE IS VERY INDEPENDENT MINDED AND THINKS INDEPENDENT MINDED AND THINKS DIFFERENTLY THAN IOWA

DIFFERENTLY THAN IOWA NEVADA AND SOUTH CAROLINA HAVE A NEVADA AND SOUTH CAROLINA HAVE A VERY DIFFERENT DEMOGRAPHIC VERY DIFFERENT DEMOGRAPHIC MAKEUP AND THAT’S PART OF WHAT MAKEUP AND THAT’S PART OF WHAT THIS PROCESS WILL BRING OUT THIS PROCESS WILL BRING OUT >> THE VICE PRESIDENT IS HITTING >> THE VICE PRESIDENT IS HITTING YOU HARD BY IMPLYING THAT YOU’RE YOU HARD BY IMPLYING THAT YOU’RE ATTACKING THE OBAMA PRESIDENCY ATTACKING THE OBAMA PRESIDENCY

LET ME ASK THE QUESTION THIS LET ME ASK THE QUESTION THIS WAY WAY IN THE SECOND TERM OF THE OBAMA IN THE SECOND TERM OF THE OBAMA PRESIDENCY, WHAT DO YOU THINK PRESIDENCY, WHAT DO YOU THINK THEY DID — WHAT DO YOU THINK THEY DID — WHAT DO YOU THINK THEY COULD HAVE DONE DIFFERENTLY THEY COULD HAVE DONE DIFFERENTLY THAT COULD HAVE PREVENTED THE THAT COULD HAVE PREVENTED THE RISE OF DONALD TRUMP? RISE OF DONALD TRUMP? >> I HAD THE OBAMA WHITE HOUSE’S >> I HAD THE OBAMA WHITE HOUSE’S BACK TIME AND TIME AGAIN BECAUSE BACK TIME AND TIME AGAIN BECAUSE THEY WERE DOING THE RIGHT THING THEY WERE DOING THE RIGHT THING THAT WASN’T ALWAYS EASY AS A THAT WASN’T ALWAYS EASY AS A MAYOR IN INDIANA

MAYOR IN INDIANA YOU KNOW, IN FACT MY FIRST YOU KNOW, IN FACT MY FIRST CAMPAIGN STATEWIDE WAS ON A CAMPAIGN STATEWIDE WAS ON A PLATFORM OF DEFENDING THE OBAMA PLATFORM OF DEFENDING THE OBAMA ADMINISTRATION’S DECISION TO ADMINISTRATION’S DECISION TO RESCUE THE AUTO INDUSTRY, RESCUE THE AUTO INDUSTRY, BECAUSE I KNEW WHAT THAT MEANT BECAUSE I KNEW WHAT THAT MEANT TO MY STATE TO MY STATE BUT THOSE ACHIEVEMENTS WERE BUT THOSE ACHIEVEMENTS WERE IMPORTANT BECAUSE THEY MET THE IMPORTANT BECAUSE THEY MET THE MOMENT MOMENT

NOW WE’RE IN A DIFFERENT MOMENT NOW WE’RE IN A DIFFERENT MOMENT THIS IS 2020 THIS IS 2020 >> NO, I UNDERSTAND THAT

>> NO, I UNDERSTAND THAT BUT WHY DID WE GET DONALD TRUMP BUT WHY DID WE GET DONALD TRUMP IN YOUR VIEW? IN YOUR VIEW? AND COULD THIS HAVE BEEN AND COULD THIS HAVE BEEN PREVENTED BY THE OBAMA-BIDEN PREVENTED BY THE OBAMA-BIDEN ADMINISTRATION IN YOUR VIEW? ADMINISTRATION IN YOUR VIEW? >> I DON’T THINK YOU CAN PIN >> I DON’T THINK YOU CAN PIN THIS ON ANY ONE ADMINISTRATION, THIS ON ANY ONE ADMINISTRATION, BUT IT’S CERTAINLY THE CASE THAT BUT IT’S CERTAINLY THE CASE THAT PEOPLE ARE FRUSTRATED BY A PEOPLE ARE FRUSTRATED BY A REALITY THAT THEY FEEL HAS LEFT REALITY THAT THEY FEEL HAS LEFT THEM OUT FOR 40 YEARS THEM OUT FOR 40 YEARS WE FELT IT IN MY COMMUNITY WE FELT IT IN MY COMMUNITY

AN INDUSTRIAL COMMUNITY IN THE AN INDUSTRIAL COMMUNITY IN THE HEART OF THE SO-CALLED RUST BELT HEART OF THE SO-CALLED RUST BELT THAT DIDN’T FEEL LIKE WASHINGTON THAT DIDN’T FEEL LIKE WASHINGTON WAS HEARING WHAT WE HAD TO SAY WAS HEARING WHAT WE HAD TO SAY AND I’M SEEING SO MANY AND I’M SEEING SO MANY COMMUNITIES, RURAL, INDUSTRIAL, COMMUNITIES, RURAL, INDUSTRIAL, EVEN PARTS OF SOME OF OUR EVEN PARTS OF SOME OF OUR BIGGEST CITIES WHERE PEOPLE OF BIGGEST CITIES WHERE PEOPLE OF DIFFERENT BACKGROUNDS ARE DIFFERENT BACKGROUNDS ARE QUESTIONING WHETHER THE ECONOMIC QUESTIONING WHETHER THE ECONOMIC AND POLITICAL REALITIES ARE AND POLITICAL REALITIES ARE RESPONDING TO WHAT WE NEED IN RESPONDING TO WHAT WE NEED IN OUR LIVES OUR LIVES NOW, IN A VERY CYNICAL AND VERY NOW, IN A VERY CYNICAL AND VERY DIVISIVE WAY, DONALD TRUMP TOOK DIVISIVE WAY, DONALD TRUMP TOOK ADVANTAGE OF THAT

ADVANTAGE OF THAT NOW IS YOUR CHANCE TO PUT NOW IS YOUR CHANCE TO PUT TOGETHER THE MAJORITY THAT WILL TOGETHER THE MAJORITY THAT WILL WIN BIG ENOUGH AGAINST DONALD WIN BIG ENOUGH AGAINST DONALD TRUMP THAT TRUMPISM ITSELF GOES TRUMP THAT TRUMPISM ITSELF GOES INTO THE HISTORY BOOKS INTO THE HISTORY BOOKS >> I WANT TO PLAY WHAT WAS, >> I WANT TO PLAY WHAT WAS, FRANKLY, AN UNCOMFORTABLE MOMENT FRANKLY, AN UNCOMFORTABLE MOMENT TO WATCH TO WATCH

THIS WAS A POTENTIAL SUPPORTER THIS WAS A POTENTIAL SUPPORTER OF YOURS THAT WHEN THEY FOUND OF YOURS THAT WHEN THEY FOUND OUT YOU WERE MARRIED TO A MAN, OUT YOU WERE MARRIED TO A MAN, THEY BACKED OFF THEY BACKED OFF LET ME PLAY THE MOMENT LET ME PLAY THE MOMENT >> SO ARE YOU SAYING THAT HE HAS >> SO ARE YOU SAYING THAT HE HAS A SAME-SEX PARTNER? A SAME-SEX PARTNER? >> PETE? >> PETE? >> YES

>> YES >> YES >> YES >> ARE YOU KIDDING? >> ARE YOU KIDDING? >> HE IS MARRIED TO HIM, YES >> HE IS MARRIED TO HIM, YES

>> WELL, THEN I DON’T WANT >> WELL, THEN I DON’T WANT ANYBODY LIKE THAT IN THE WHITE ANYBODY LIKE THAT IN THE WHITE HOUSE HOUSE SO CAN I HAVE MY CARD BACK? SO CAN I HAVE MY CARD BACK? >> IT’S — MAY NOT BE FAIR BUT >> IT’S — MAY NOT BE FAIR BUT THERE’S GOING TO BE VOTERS LIKE THERE’S GOING TO BE VOTERS LIKE THAT THAT THERE’S GOING TO BE SOME THERE’S GOING TO BE SOME DEMOCRATIC OPERATIVES WHO ARE DEMOCRATIC OPERATIVES WHO ARE SITTING THERE NERVOUS GOING DO SITTING THERE NERVOUS GOING DO YOU LOSE THE WHITE HOUSE BECAUSE YOU LOSE THE WHITE HOUSE BECAUSE THERE’S SOME VOTER WHO WALKS THERE’S SOME VOTER WHO WALKS INTO THE BOOTH AND JUST DOESN’T INTO THE BOOTH AND JUST DOESN’T PULL THE LEVER SIMPLY BECAUSE PULL THE LEVER SIMPLY BECAUSE THEY HAVE AN ISSUE WITH YOUR THEY HAVE AN ISSUE WITH YOUR PRIVATE LIFE

PRIVATE LIFE WHAT DO YOU SAY TO THOSE WHAT DO YOU SAY TO THOSE CONCERNS? CONCERNS? >> THE FIRST IS WHAT I HAVE TO >> THE FIRST IS WHAT I HAVE TO SAY TO THAT VOTER WHICH IS I’M SAY TO THAT VOTER WHICH IS I’M SADDENED THAT SHE SEES THINGS SADDENED THAT SHE SEES THINGS THAT WAY BUT I’M RUNNING TO BE THAT WAY BUT I’M RUNNING TO BE HER PRESIDENT TOO HER PRESIDENT TOO NO MATTER WHO SHE VOTES FOR AS NO MATTER WHO SHE VOTES FOR AS PRESIDENT, I’M GOING TO GET UP PRESIDENT, I’M GOING TO GET UP IN THE MORNING AND TRY TO DO A IN THE MORNING AND TRY TO DO A GOOD JOB FOR HER AND FOR EVERY GOOD JOB FOR HER AND FOR EVERY AMERICAN AMERICAN

ANOTHER THING I WAS STRUCK BY IN ANOTHER THING I WAS STRUCK BY IN THAT EXCHANGE IS HOW WELL OUR THAT EXCHANGE IS HOW WELL OUR VOLUNTEER HANDLED THE SITUATION, VOLUNTEER HANDLED THE SITUATION, REFLECTING THE VALUES OF THIS REFLECTING THE VALUES OF THIS CAMPAIGN CAMPAIGN LOOK, THE REALITY IS PREJUDICE LOOK, THE REALITY IS PREJUDICE IS STILL OUT THERE AND YOU’VE IS STILL OUT THERE AND YOU’VE GOT TO DEAL WITH IT GOT TO DEAL WITH IT I WOULD NOT HAVE BEEN ABLE TO I WOULD NOT HAVE BEEN ABLE TO GET RE-ELECTED WHERE I DID IN GET RE-ELECTED WHERE I DID IN MIKE PENCE’S INDIANA IF PEOPLE MIKE PENCE’S INDIANA IF PEOPLE WERE NOT ABLE TO LOOK PAST THAT

WERE NOT ABLE TO LOOK PAST THAT EVERY TIME SOMEBODY SEEKS TO EVERY TIME SOMEBODY SEEKS TO BREAK A BARRIER PUNDITS TRY TO BREAK A BARRIER PUNDITS TRY TO MAKE IT ABOUT ELECTABILITY MAKE IT ABOUT ELECTABILITY >> INSTEAD OF BEING A PUNDIT >> INSTEAD OF BEING A PUNDIT HERE, HAVE YOU TAKEN A MOMENT TO HERE, HAVE YOU TAKEN A MOMENT TO APPRECIATE THE HISTORY THAT APPRECIATE THE HISTORY THAT YOU’VE MADE? YOU’VE MADE? >> THERE’S NOT A LOT OF TIME FOR >> THERE’S NOT A LOT OF TIME FOR REFLECTION IN A CAMPAIGN REFLECTION IN A CAMPAIGN

>> I UNDERSTAND >> I UNDERSTAND >> THERE WAS A MOMENT WE WENT >> THERE WAS A MOMENT WE WENT OUT AND IT REMINDED ME WHAT THIS OUT AND IT REMINDED ME WHAT THIS MEANS FOR SOME KID PEEKING MEANS FOR SOME KID PEEKING AROUND THE CLOSET DOOR WONDERING AROUND THE CLOSET DOOR WONDERING IF THIS COUNTRY HAS A PLACE FOR IF THIS COUNTRY HAS A PLACE FOR THEM THEM I DIDN’T SET OUT TO BE THE GAY I DIDN’T SET OUT TO BE THE GAY PRESIDENT, BUT CERTAINLY SEEING PRESIDENT, BUT CERTAINLY SEEING WHAT THIS MEANS IS REALLY WHAT THIS MEANS IS REALLY MEANINGFUL AND REALLY POWERFUL

MEANINGFUL AND REALLY POWERFUL >> IF YOU COME OUT OF HERE WITH >> IF YOU COME OUT OF HERE WITH A SHOT OF MOMENTUM, FIRST OR A SHOT OF MOMENTUM, FIRST OR SECOND PLACE, YOU MAY HAVE A SECOND PLACE, YOU MAY HAVE A SHOT OF MOMENTUM, YOU’RE STARING SHOT OF MOMENTUM, YOU’RE STARING AT MICHAEL BLOOMBERG’S $273 AT MICHAEL BLOOMBERG’S $273 MILLION — I SAW YOUR EYES WIDEN MILLION — I SAW YOUR EYES WIDEN WHEN YOU SAW HIM IN OUR SPOT WHEN YOU SAW HIM IN OUR SPOT YOU AND HIM ARE VYING FOR THE YOU AND HIM ARE VYING FOR THE SAME VOTER SAME VOTER

HOW DO YOU DEAL WITH IT? HOW DO YOU DEAL WITH IT? >> WELL, IT’S ABOUT OUR VISION >> WELL, IT’S ABOUT OUR VISION I HAVE A VISION FOR THIS COUNTRY I HAVE A VISION FOR THIS COUNTRY THAT IS ABOUT MOVING US FORWARD THAT IS ABOUT MOVING US FORWARD IT’S ABOUT ENSURING THAT WE DRAW IT’S ABOUT ENSURING THAT WE DRAW TOGETHER THE ENERGIES OF TOGETHER THE ENERGIES OF DEMOCRATS AND INDEPENDENTS AND DEMOCRATS AND INDEPENDENTS AND EVEN SOME REPUBLICANS WHO WANT EVEN SOME REPUBLICANS WHO WANT TO CROSS OVER

TO CROSS OVER AND ONE THING WE HAVE LEARNED IS AND ONE THING WE HAVE LEARNED IS THAT MONEY ALONE CAN’T BUY THAT MONEY ALONE CAN’T BUY ELECTIONS OR ROSS PEROT WOULD BE ELECTIONS OR ROSS PEROT WOULD BE THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES RIGHT NOW STATES RIGHT NOW YES, OF COURSE FUND-RAISING YES, OF COURSE FUND-RAISING MATTERS AND BEING ON THE AIR MATTERS AND BEING ON THE AIR WAVES MATTERS, BUT PART OF WAVES MATTERS, BUT PART OF WHAT’S SO IMPORTANT ABOUT THIS WHAT’S SO IMPORTANT ABOUT THIS PROCESS IN THE EARLY STATES IS I PROCESS IN THE EARLY STATES IS I DON’T THINK YOU CAN SKIP HAVING DON’T THINK YOU CAN SKIP HAVING VOTERS LOOK YOU IN THE EYE, ASK VOTERS LOOK YOU IN THE EYE, ASK YOU WHAT YOU’RE GOING TO DO FOR YOU WHAT YOU’RE GOING TO DO FOR THEM, CHALLENGE YOU, QUESTION THEM, CHALLENGE YOU, QUESTION YOU, AND AS THE CAMPAIGN GOES ON YOU, AND AS THE CAMPAIGN GOES ON IN TERMS OF VOTERS AND IN TERMS OF VOTERS AND REPORTERS, SERIOUSLY ASKING REPORTERS, SERIOUSLY ASKING TOUGH QUESTIONS OF ALL OF THE TOUGH QUESTIONS OF ALL OF THE CANDIDATES, IT HAS A LEVELING CANDIDATES, IT HAS A LEVELING EFFECT WHERE MONEY ALONE CAN’T EFFECT WHERE MONEY ALONE CAN’T BE THE DECISIVE FACTOR

Source: Youtube

This div height required for enabling the sticky sidebar